No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Maker and age of vase Sweden  (Read 1533 times)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Maker and age of vase Sweden
« on: July 08, 2009, 02:19:01 AM »
This vase is 16cm tall.  I've searched for the pattern without luck.  I've squinted until I am nearly blind and all I can make out of the marks is " 83 Sweden"  I think it is Orrefors.  Can anyone confirm this, and is 83 the date made?  Thanks for looking.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Maker and age of vase Sweden
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 05:36:44 AM »
I can't find an Orrefors vase like this, and I can't get an Orrefors signature out of what I see written on the bottom. It looks more like Strombershyttan dimensions (shape and thickness of glass) to me, although I haven't seen this design. Could it be Strombergshyttan on the bottom, although I have difficulty making out to be that?  1983 would seem a little late for this piece.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 06:28:57 AM »
I have 5 vases in this shape - flat oval with a cut and polished rim - and four of those are by Sea Glasbruk. The fifth has something undecided scribbled on the underside which may be the engraver. Sea in the town of Kosta supplied many of these blanks to local engravers, as the shape is ideal for decoration.

Unable to read your sig - but I can believe 1983.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 06:56:18 AM »
Ivo's explanation makes sense to me, as I still can't see Stromergshyttan in the photograph.

Ivo: would it be possible to post a picture of one of your Sea vases, just for future reference?

Thanks.

DF

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 08:23:13 AM »
first pic: the largest one with the squirrel has an unreadable sig, the others are engraved / etched souvenirs or blank. ("Mora" and "Örebro")
second pic: Kjellander engraving on Sea or Kosta blank
Third one: No sig
Number four: Look, also available in Sea green!

I think it is likely that also Nybro made these blanks, and probably other works as well. It may be one of the mainstays of the Swedish glass industry...

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »
I never realized many engravers were working on their own engraving blanks.  Thanks to all for the comments.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 03:40:36 PM »
Ivo:

Many thanks for the very helpful photographs, and also for the information on how Kjellander operated. I've come across a few pieces very nicely done pieces marked Kjellander and there's not much information on the company or person.

David

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 09:04:12 PM »
Struggling through the script.  Maybe what I can decipher will ring some bells with someone. 

Illegible  Konstglas E Neistlech 83 Sweden

I'm sure the 3rd word is wrong, but maybe close enough for someone.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand