No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peach and white cased jack-in-the-pulpit vase  (Read 1583 times)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Peach and white cased jack-in-the-pulpit vase
« on: July 08, 2009, 02:41:35 AM »
I think American, late Victorian on this vase, but I am always interested in the opinions of others.  The pontil is rough and dirty.  It glows bright orange with sunlight goind through it.  It appears to be cased, with clear over white.  Note the peach color is only on the inside, and fades away from the edge going into the vase while the outside is completely white.  Is this effect achieved like opalescence, except the treatment is only on the clear layer?   I need a real glass expert to explain this to me.  Thanks for looking.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/385128/P1060738.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/385128/P1060739.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/385128/P1060741.JPG

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Peach and white cased jack-in-the-pulpit vase
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 04:02:27 AM »
Possibly Czech and by Kralik.... The orange strikes me as a little off for US production.  You may want to look at the images of the vase in this thread that I posted, and it turned out to be Czech, Kralik actually.....  I thought for years it was English glass, or possibly early American.....

You vase has similar feet, similar casing at the mouth and Kralik was masterful with opalescent glass.  The pontil is also amazingly similar.....

I would also be interested in an image of your vase from the side to see the form and proportions.......

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26052.0.html

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 04:26:02 AM »
That is surprising - and there are several key elements identical.  I'll take a side pic in the morning, and check the feet with a blacklight as well. Thanks much.  Do you know how they manage to do the peach opalescent effect on only one layer of glass?

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 05:16:14 AM »
Hello, My understanding is that the opalescence, and some color changes and fading are a byproduct of reheating the glass. I would think that glass layers are applied, and after the layering and forming is done, the glass is reheated and the color change appears as a byproduct of the heat.  I believe it is similar to the heat process used to make early peachblow, such as Wild Rose by New England Glass.  In this case the glass fades from a vivid pink at the top to a white glass at the base. The amount of color change is determined by the extent of the heat applied in an area of the glass. The fading from strong color at the rim as it fades to the foot is the result of heat differences at the varying points on the surface..... The difference between the top and the underside could be the result of two types of glass, and/or also heat applied more directly and briefly to the upper portion of the vase where the color appears.....

If anyone knows differently, please comment ........ If my understanding is incorrect I would like to know.....  I have derived this from reading, among other things, about Sabino Opalescent figures, and also reading on unlined peachblow and the process used to create color fading in the glass.

Craig

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 06:54:50 AM »
it is possible that it is simply a thin narrow layer of orange glass applied before reshaping. I have one or two vases from this period where the coloured mouth only just extends inside the vase and, where it has been reshaped, the white pokes through the colour a little, as does the orange here. These are quite broad colour bands so that you don't realise that the interior is still white, but there is no reason why the technique couldn't have been applied to a narrow band. It doesn't have to be a result of reheating.

The feet and the scabby pontil mark (it's iron I think) could be English, but I would go with Czech I think.

Very nice

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 11:49:26 AM »
Thank you all for the assistance.  Craig, here's a profile picture.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 11:52:32 AM »
Did you try it under a UV light?

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 03:05:49 PM »
The feet and pontil style are what made me think mine was most likely English for many years. I had not really encountered any Czech glass in this style that I was aware of, although hindsight makes me think I have seen more than I realize.....

I had not sent any images of mine to Alfredo at all, as I was so convinced it was English.  After posting it here, and Christine dug it up again, I sent him the images to look at and was shocked when he responded with the image of his Kralik piece which confirmed the attribution as Kralik.

In re-examining the images of the color, I agree with Christine. In this case it appears the color has been stretched, as opposed to a change from applied heat.

I do believe the piece to be Czech, and Kralik is the most likely attribution, as they were masters with opalescent glass. Additionally, the feet are, other than color, almost identical.......

It is a nice piece of glass.

Craig

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 03:38:29 PM »
And the feet do glow.  Thanks to all for the help

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 12:47:59 PM »
I don't think the color is "applied." I think this is a controlled fade process ... something like what we do here. Would you like to know how it's done?
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand