No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue and dark streaks vase...Czech?  (Read 2576 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Blue and dark streaks vase...Czech?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 08:39:28 PM »
or anyone else who knows please?  :)  because I have seen a vase, different shape but appears to be the same decor/colour as this and is described as WMF 1930's Unika.  I thought the candle holder on this thread was a Cari Zalloni design?
thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 09:21:40 PM »
Hi m,
it´s a WMF powder decorated piece from around 1970; shape possibly designed by Cari Zalloni.
The no longer working link I posted some time ago showed the exact piece with a WMF sticker of that time.
Meanwhile...
shape
decor
Since WMF didn´t continue their Ikora line longer than the early 50´s these 70´s pieces simply aren´t Ikora,
no matter how similar or not the technique or appearance may be. The term ´70´s Ikora´ IMHO therefor is
a misleading term, which doesn´t do the complexity of most real Ikora pieces justice...  8)

edit: If the vase in question has a ground and polished top rim and isn´t a lampbase or part of a lidded box,
     it´s quite unlikely to be WMF Ikora.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 09:33:50 PM »
Hi Dirk and thank you.  What you have explained is as I thought.   I have just bought a candle holder/vase as per this thread so that was one reason for asking.  The other is that I have actually seen a vase, unlabelled, that appears to me to be the same decor as the candle holder/vase but has a fire polished rim and polished flat base and is attributed as WMF 1930's.  I was just wondering idly if it really is, or whether it is actually a 1970's piece (that one is way out of my pocket so I'm unlikely to find out, at close hand, what it really is like unfortunately but it doesn't strike me as a '30s piece...although I could be wrong.).  And unless I get really lucky I'm unlikely to see a 'genuine' Ikora piece close up to compare either  :cry:
Thanks again
m

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »
 :hug:

Hard to tell without a picture...  :-\  Do you mean a fire polished rim or a hot shaped one?
There´s other candidates for powder decoration as well, Eisch, Gralglas...
Any chance you could persuade the seller to take a picture?
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 09:55:46 PM »
hmm, I mean hotworked rim sorry. I'll send you a link .
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand