No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stripey things  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Stripey things
« on: July 13, 2009, 06:32:45 AM »
Four stripey items in one picture.
1. A lamp with a clear glass trail around it
2. A long necked vase
3. A light dome with a Vetri Murano sticker (Manufacturer 22)
4. A vase with a blue trail around the scalloped rim.

- Number four is a little whiter than the others and has a suspect mat underside - is this a Chinese imitation?  :huh:
- Is there a name for this technique? :huh:
- Who is manufacturer 22?  :huh:

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Stripey things
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 01:38:38 PM »
I do not know the name of the technique, but I do remember reading, and I think it was in a thread here, that generally the items with the twist in the direction of the labeled piece (right hand twist) are Italian, and the items with the twist the other direction (left hand twist), are Chinese......Anita may be able to clarify better than I

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:35:02 PM »
I guess I should have been more clear with the forward and reverse swirls. The Chinese make some glass that looks very much like Fratelli Toso. The Chinese pieces tend to have reverse (clockwise from above) swirl, while the Fratelli Toso pieces almost always have a forward (counterclockwise) swirl. I don't think any of Ivo's pieces are Chinese. They are so nice.

I can help with the lampshade. 022 is the VM number for Venini.  :hiclp:
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 05:50:34 AM »

Thank you so much, Anita! Delighted to find I have another Venini in the house!

I guess twisting left or right has to do with lefthanded glass blowers - in four items the direction seems quite random....

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 11:51:22 PM »
I asked about twists an age back in respect of a wrythen decanter, here Ivo http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,512.msg2774/topicseen.html#msg2774 and Adam A responded saying
I think it is unlikely that the direction of the spiral would be a function of whether the glassblower is right or left handed. The way in which the optic ribs are twisted is determined by whether you twist the piece towards you or away from you both in the chair and depending on the piece, in the glory hole. It doesn't matter whether you are right or left handed....you should be able to do it either way. Easy to say when I'm sitting at home at night, but I suppose I'd better try it out to be on the safe side! .
- I'm wondering if the same would apply to your spirals? (Adam, did you ever test this out?)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand