No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help ID Strathearn PWT  (Read 1202 times)

Offline incazzatonero

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • Germany
Please help ID Strathearn PWT
« on: July 14, 2009, 04:45:42 PM »
 :huh: :huh: :huh:

A nice weight, isn't it?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400059376203&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBDIX%3AIT&salenotsupported

The Label is saying Strathearn and I believe it also.
But why does it a little bit look like the Ysart-family?

Any commands?
Regards
Lothar

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Please help ID Strathearn PWT
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:15:30 PM »
Hi Lothar

I understand what you suggest about Ysart, but these were made just before Strathearn closed, and one of the workers told me it was an attempt to show what they could have done if the management would have let them! There was a continuous link through Ysart Bros. to Vasart to Strathearn.  The design is an SP100, introduced in 1979, I think. But I'm sure Kev H knows better than me.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 10:30:27 PM »
Alan is correct. It's a Strathearn SP100 from the last couple of years of their paperweight production.

See this page in Richard More's website for another, particularly good, signed and dated example (but I would say that - it's one of my weights!). Others in the SP1xx range within Richard's site show that there could have been a really good future for millefiori weights from Strathearn if the management had recognised the collector potential of those "experimental" items.

And yes, to some extent, there is a similarity to some Ysart items (both Paul's work and from his father and brothers), especially with the SP100 concentrics. But in truth, these later Strathearn weights are simply very well made pieces that, in my mind, are every bit as good as many antique French examples, not just good Ysart pieces.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline incazzatonero

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • Germany
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 05:26:02 PM »
 :thup:
Thanks Alan and Kevin!
Very interesting!
Regards