No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: This week's carboot finds... Riihimaen, Whitefriars(?)...  (Read 18978 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
This week's carboot finds... Riihimaen, Whitefriars(?)...
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 06:28:00 PM »
Not all of the catalogue's are completed on Whitefriars.com so perhaps it is in one of those. I have noticed that the base on the Millers jug appears to be wider at the bottom.  :?  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 06:43:08 PM »
I'm sure someone with an encyclopædic knowledge of Whitefriars will come along and set everything straight.  :D

Although I've just compared my jug and the Miller's one at the same angle as in the book's photograph and the bases seem to have the same proportions - but the handles are slightly different at the bottom, as best as I can make out, anyway. But only slightly.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

vidfletch

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 06:51:44 PM »
Studio glass (correct me if I am wrong!) is generally classed as glass designed and made by one person or small group of people. It tends to be low volume high price pieces. A lot of companies went bust during the sixties and seventies and the workers and newly graduated designers etc. set up themselves in business. All these small "studios" produced exclusive pieces to pay the bills! They didn't necessarily have the capacity to do high volume production runs.

Larger companies still in existence cottoned on to this by introducing limited edition or expensive pieces. Whitefriars introduced their STUDIO range in 1969 in a seperate leaflet. Geoffrey Baxters assistant Peter Wheeler designed a new range of glass in new shapes but combining colours and elements from the existing range. He worked with the glassblowers to come up with the range after some trial and error. They were discontinued sometime in 1970. Maybe too expensive? They are certainly expensive to buy now and are some of the very few Whitefriars items that are actually marked on the base. They have Pattern Number S1 to S15 and if I remember correctly sometimes have "Peter Wheeler" marked on them. A label with the colourway title is on a few too.

In 1978 Whitefriars brought out another limited range of glass imaginatively titled "New Studio" range! These are seldom seen and not as unique in the same way the first range was.

The jug in Martin Millers book maybe a one off, experimental or prototype vase, blah blah (What isn't these days?!?!). Equally it may be complete nonsense. I see it was shown by the "Country Seat" who do have unusual Whitefriars pieces for sale with regularity. I don't own the book but I can just about see it has trails of glass or stripes on it. It doesn't really look like the first Studio range or second to me. There are very similar vases to the Studio ones out there too. Jug shape doesn't look right either. No doubt someone will confirm either way.

Vidfletch :D

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 07:20:46 PM »
They are not stripes or trails, it is just the reflection of light.  :)

It does seem a bit strange that the book doesn't mention the studio number because there is a Whitefriars studio piece on another page and it's got a number.  :?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 07:21:34 PM »
Well I'm a graphic designer by trade, so I've a reasonable eye for proportions - and the book jug has near-exactly the same shape, except it seems a little wider around the middle and has a slightly more cursive flare at the base.

It's a pretty well-made jug, but I'm not sure the top-quality (or flair of design) is really there for it to be warranted as a studio design, unfortunately. But conversely, it doesn't feel new - so may a piece contemporary to and derivative of the Whitefriars jug in the book, if indeed that's what it is.

T'is a quandry.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2005, 07:24:21 PM »
Maybe this will be the first ever genuine cheap glass turned "Super-Rare Whitefriars - WOW" that eBay has so so many of...  :D

But I doubt it.  :wink:

vidfletch

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 07:47:59 PM »
Look at this link to see why the jugs are not "Studio" pieces.

http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/a2-information/a2l-studio/studio.htm

They have no decoration. Equally all the Martini mixer jugs remotely like this shape were well out of production by 1969 and the introduction of the first Studio range. Same applies to the 1978 range.

Now the whitefriars.com site may not have all the catalogues, this is true. I have access to catalogues from 1931 to 1980, the Wendy Evans Whitefriars book and the Lesley Jackson one. These jugs are not in them.

The colours also discount them. Amber lasted at the latest until 1962 and no jugs were in Amber like this. The Kingfisher one can't be right either. Kingfisher Blue came in 1968 and all the Martini mixer jugs were gone as I have said before.

Do you the anser is no? LOL!!!

Vidfletch :D  :)  :o  :lol:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 08:14:44 PM »
Ah well, it was a fun and informative mystery whilst it lasted! Thanks for all of the very detailed information.  :D

I quite like the concertina ones too - I found them on two separate 'boot stalls, oddly enough. It seems that anyone and everyone is in a rush to sell off their 1960's-70's glassware at these things. I ended up with no less than 16 new pieces... including three poor abandoned Dansk candlestick holders that someone had left in a box of tatt when they packed up early. Aw. Though I'm sure some folk would consider a box of tatt the best place for them...  :D

I may get around to throwing on some of the other curious pieces I bought to see if anyone knows anything of them.  :)

vidfletch

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 08:28:42 PM »
Whitefriars Jugs are a nightmare. Well not true, other companies jugs are the nightmare! LOL!!!

I know what you mean about all the cheap seventies type stuff. It applies to quite modern eighties items as well. I picked up two boxed sets of plates and bowls by NUUTAJARVI NOTSJO of Finland at the weekend. Cost peanuts and everything labelled! Isn't it great! LOL!!!

Vidfletch :D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 09:02:02 PM »
Three more Sunday-acquired bits & bobs...

The vase on the left is more amethyst at the base than... whatever colour it looks like in the photograph... Muddy brown? It just needs a good clean, I think. And the yellowy background doesn't help.

The vase on the right has a very fluid curved organic rim thing going on... Gah - I really should learn some proper terminology.  :lol: Actually, I'm a bit miffed with it, as I noticed a dirty great crack in the glass when I got home and removed the big price sticker that was covering it.  :evil:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand