No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: This week's carboot finds... Riihimaen, Whitefriars(?)...  (Read 18980 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
This week's carboot finds... Riihimaen, Whitefriars(?)...
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 09:16:03 PM »
Indeed. I am very grateful for all the information I've received in this thread, and from all of the other kind and knowledgable people who use this site who've offered help and information over the last few weeks since I joined up.

Makes me feel downright amateurish sometimes.  Well, I say sometimes... I mean all the time! :oops:  :lol:

But I'm learning...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Anonymous

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 09:40:00 PM »
Pinkspoons, the vase on the left is a Caithness vase.

Vidfletch :D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 09:44:43 PM »
My suspicions were that it could very well be Caithness - I've two similar ones (but not the same!) with labels.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 09:53:21 PM »
I bought a near-identical vase from the same fellow, but in sea-green. I'm not so sure about the Caithness-ness of this one, though. I'll have to take a snap of it at some point.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 10:16:08 PM »
Is that a dark green candle holder? The bit where it goes up like that is similar to Wedgwood candle holders.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2005, 11:01:55 PM »
T'is a candle holder. Was from the same stall I bought the Kleopatra from. £5.50 for the two items.

She had some Holmegaard too - but looks like she'd read up on it and wanted waaaay too much. £55 for an ashtray? I think not.  :shock:

Quote from: "Pinkspoons"
I bought a near-identical vase from the same fellow, but in sea-green. I'm not so sure about the Caithness-ness of this one, though.

It is Caithness after all - I found a labelled one on eBay identical (except the online was is engraved).

Actually, I've found three of the Caithness vases and bowls I own on eBay all with engraving, yet mine have none. I'm kind of glad about this, as I'm not too keen on most engraved glass - especially when it's particularly twee subject matter (flowers, dolphins, etc).

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2005, 04:26:42 PM »
Dolphins, you mean like this one?
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/normal_Picture%20643.jpg

I think it is designed by Domhnall O'Broin.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 04:55:24 PM »
Aye, that's one of the bowls I have. Except mine's in Amethyst - but then half my glass seems to be in amethyst! Quite accidentally.

They are nicely designed and engraved, these Caithness pieces, but they're just not my cup of char.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 08:14:57 PM »
I've got a nice amethyst one, quite unusual for Caithness but it has a frosted stamp on the base so definetly is.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/normal_Picture%20476.jpg

Offline Glassyone

• Members
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2005, 12:09:56 AM »
Pinkspoons, this is my jug that sits by the sink with flowers in. It's perfect for that except getting it clean after each time. Sorry about the awful photo, this is quick light relief in between varnishing. It is 37cms at the highest point and I think it is Polish.
I so envy you the boot sales. I miss them dreadfully. Some how 'garage sales' are not quite the same.

http://tinypic.com/ei6qfc.jpg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand