No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: This week's carboot finds... Riihimaen, Whitefriars(?)...  (Read 18980 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
This week's carboot finds... Riihimaen, Whitefriars(?)...
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2005, 12:14:48 AM »
Gosh, now that looks familiar! The spout is a little different, but it's essentially the same.  :)

I've already realised what a pain it is to clean - I've had to be inventive with a cleaning rag and a stick. Still, it's a dream compared to cleaning the Kleopatra vase which had a bit of limescale in the bottom.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2005, 12:26:59 AM »
These are my recent amethyst purchases. The three at the front, left to right, are Caithness - as you can probably see - and the rest are cheap 'n' cheerful mystery vases that mostly took my fancy for around 50p each.  :lol:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2005, 08:04:59 AM »
Is that a Caithness Glass sticker I see?  I'm not sure if I'd want quite all those vases  :twisted: but the one with the sticker is very useful for reference.  :D  :D
I am not a man

Anonymous

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2005, 08:33:06 AM »
I live about 1/2 an hour from the Caithness factory shop in Perth, Scotland. In the shop they have all the standard range of glass, most of which, are actually all seconds. There is nothing really wrong with them but they have all the perfect bits for sale at a premium. There are also some very expensive limited pieces for sale. Some of these are absolutely stunning and way beyond what they normally sell.

Most of the Caithness glass at boot sales and on Ebay is from the seventies and eighties when they were more succesful than they are now. Now owned by Edinburgh Crystal, themselves far from profitable, things don't seem to have changed much. The factory shop is full of display only pieces. If it was me they would be on display and on sale!

I am not a great fan of paperweights. Caithness are obviously well known for them and I have to say the display of paperweights contains some stunning pieces of glass.

Vidfletch :D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2005, 08:50:09 AM »
The bowl has a newer transparent sticker on it (visible if you look closely), and the vase next to it has a 60's / 70's (?) paper sticker. Unfortunately it has 3 teeny-tiny fleabites to the inside rim... but I can't complain too much for 60p.

It's a shame that a lot of older Caithness hasn't really increased in value, as some of it is really quite nice. I suppose it's bogged down by an awful lot of relatively plain glass, though... kinda like my pieces!  :oops:   :lol:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2005, 11:35:22 AM »
My sole piece of Caithness is this scent bottle http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-879 in which I just love the heathery colours. It has a small circular plastic label on the base.

Correction, it's an oblong label when I checked. No idea why I thought it was circular!   ::)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2005, 03:00:27 PM »
That's very nice. And again, not a shape I'd readily associate with Caithness. I'm really just used to their more restrained designs.

I'll have to keep my minces peeled for some of their more adventurous offerings.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2005, 02:44:15 AM »
Hi Pinkspoons

Good to meet you

I love your pink and ruby Caithness

I think they are all mostly Caithness - the bulbous bits at the back are lamp bases by Domhnall O'Broin c 1967 I think - the CC is a nice old 1960s label (yum) - there is a fruit bowl by O'Broin (I think that's a modern label though) - the tall cylinder vase is Caithness and not often seen, your other various vases all look like O'Broin designs as well, except for the thick walled vase that intensifies in colour as it gets towards the top, I have a sneaking suspicion that is Wedgwood Stennett-Willson - studio range 'Rose' 1970 - I may be wrong as I can't see if it is striated enough, is that a Caithness sticker on it's side? if it is it is really interesting in that thick walled glass

Regards

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2005, 08:48:19 AM »
Hello.

Very nice to meet you too. I never thought I'd get my purple glass ID'ed!  :D

I just assumed that it would all be just generic stuff - but I bought it because I liked it. Which is probably the best way.

The thick-walled vase doesn't have a CG sticker on it - no markings whatsoever, unfortunately.  :(  It's interesting that you think it may be Stennett-Willson, though. I'll take a closer photograph when I wake up properly!  :lol:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2005, 09:01:23 AM »
Ah, I already had a photo saved.  :) Though it was taken before I cleaned it up.  :oops:

Any info would be great.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand