No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: American? - ID probably = Mandruzzato  (Read 2622 times)

Offline woodie

• Members
American? - ID probably = Mandruzzato
« on: July 18, 2009, 12:59:22 PM »
hi, believe this might be american faceted bowl, but not sure? anyone know value of something like this?
5inches high weight 1.5 kg. Thanks

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: American?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 02:00:54 PM »
Your glass looks very much like a Mandruzzato piece, but it is much larger than the ones I am accustomed to seeing. There are pictures of these types of pieces at http://www.mandruzzato.ve.it/ProdPerFoto.asp?Cat=52. The yellow amber layer looks much like the color used in many of their pieces. Perhaps they made some larger bowls in the past. If you search their things online, it may turn up a bowl that is this big.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 02:47:02 PM »
I re-checked the specifications and colors on the pages at the Mandruzzato site. They fit your piece. So your piece is probably made by them. They are a contemporary Murano glass company.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline woodie

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 02:55:10 PM »
hi, I have been looking into piece for a while now, and would you believe I have just found a picture of it in Millers collectables 2003 page 248
is this the america/murano glass you are refering to? Millers states american studio glass, 6 inches but nothing else. Will continue looking on site you have suggested.
Thanks

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 03:02:48 PM »
I'd know whom to believe if I had the choice between Miller's collectables  :-[ and Anita. I'd go for Anita! :thup:

Offline woodie

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 03:08:46 PM »
hi,
I was not disbelieving anyone, just asking for confirmation that they were one and the same company! as I had now found photo of it. Looks like the
Mandruzzato glass is very similar just having trouble tracing colour.
Was excited to have finally found picture of it and that was the only reason I gave info to help with the thread.
Thank you Anita for all you help.
Regards

Offline BAINSY

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 06:07:06 PM »
Hi.  This is in Judith Millers 20th century glass, page 34, under murano designs, just listed as a Sommerso glass ashtray, 4inches high, :) 1960s, priced at £120-140.  I have the exact same one.  lovely piece and one for the future.  Hope this helps.

Offline woodie

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 06:10:21 PM »
wow.
yes it does, thank you

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 08:14:33 PM »
A rather optimistic price though!

Millers' attributions often need taking with a pinch of salt!

Offline BAINSY

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 08:23:22 PM »
Yeah possibly.  Thats why i said one for the future.  Im sure the price in the book will be achieved in the future, As this is a quality piece.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand