No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Holmegaard Cluck Cluck stopper original?  (Read 6102 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Is this Holmegaard Cluck Cluck stopper original?
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:27:38 AM »
Bought this diddy little Holmegaard Cluck Cluck on the weekend but I am not sure about the stopper. The stopper fits well but it is disc rather than ball or crown shaped. Including the stopper the height of the decanter is about 19cm.

Thanks, John.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Is this Holmegaard Cluck Cluck stopper original?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:41:47 AM »
It's not a klukflaske / kluk-bottle because it doesn't (appear to) have the individual pinched chambers. Rather it is just a pinched- or dented-form decanter.

I rather suspect it's by Kastrup, as they did a different decanter with this stopper - pinched on only two sides with a circular dent.

See: http://glashistoriskselskab.dk.server871186721.internet-server.dk/index.php?option=com_ponygallery&Itemid=65&func=detail&id=3638

Unfortunately my own catalogue records for Kastrup are woefully low on the ground, especially for the later production period.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:00:50 AM »
That is definitely the stopper and comparing photos of Holmegaard Clucks the necks are a little different. The Kastrup neck seems a little wider or more 'flared', like this one, though the flask is dented on all four sides.
Looking closely at some photos I can now see the 'individual pinched chambers' you mention, this is not the form of this decanter where the 'dents' do not meet in the centre of the flask like they do on a Clukflaske.

So I guess this is probably Kastrup rather than Holmegaard too, thank you Nic for such excellent help. 8)

John.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
    • HarderNet.dk DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:38:27 PM »
Hej John

Your Kluk bottle looks to me to be in original condition and this has been made on Kastrup Glasswork.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11827

it do appear in the Kastrup Glasswork catalogue from august, 1963 and has the pattern number 6252  and is a 12 oz decanter.

The kluk-kluk decanter have been made in many different shape for lots of years both on Kastrup and Holmegaard the four shown in catalogue page can also be found the blue glass colour.
Peter

DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Holmegaard Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork, Fyens Glasswork
HarderNet.dk

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 04:34:44 PM »
Thank you Peter for the details on my Kluk Kluk and also for the excellent photo of the catalogue, I know what else to look for now.  :)

One question, two excellent answers, when the Glass Message Board works this well I am a very happy chappy. Thank you all. :hiclp:

John.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 06:37:59 PM »
Peter - these are not klukflasker, just decanters with dented / pressed-in sides.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
    • HarderNet.dk DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 08:03:25 PM »
Peter - these are not klukflasker, just decanters with dented / pressed-in sides.

Hej Nic.

I can not see why not, all bottles with stoppers are just decanters the danish "kluk kluk" is just a reference to the sound the bottle makes when poring from it and this decanter do have the shape to make the glug glug sound.

It is not part of Holmegaard marketing glug glug decanter range, but that do not exclude other decanters from being "kluk kluk" thus it is just a name for a certain sound from the bottle.

I would also describe decanters as "Bjæsk", "Gourgelette", "Kluk-kubus", "Fanø", "Mandø", "Venø" as glug glug decanter although they do not have the exact shape as the Holmegaard tradename "Kluk kluk karaffler" Glug Glug decanters.

I am sure that there is many more examples on decanter that over time has been molded as a variation over the traditional Glug Glug decanter.

To me it is a decanter "Karaffel" but it also have sucked in sides and will give the glug glug sound as all decanters do with this shape.
Peter

DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Holmegaard Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork, Fyens Glasswork
HarderNet.dk

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 11:56:37 PM »
Hej Peter.

The sides are pushed-in, but they do not meet to form individual chambers so it would not make a glugging sound - it is like York or Danica, with the pushed-in sides for decoration only.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 08:17:03 AM »
Hi,
I have been following John's topic with some interest as I have a decanter with a similar stopper. Would this be by Kastrup?
Thanks,
Bryn

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 08:28:57 AM »
Yup - it's the same decanter as linked to in my first post.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand