No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Sklo Union vase?  (Read 2742 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Is this a Sklo Union vase?
« on: July 21, 2009, 10:11:23 AM »
After looking through the database CD from Marcus Newhall's Sklo Union Art Before Industry and not spotting this vase I am wondering if anyone recognises it. It is pressed glass from a three part mould with a ground rim 'bird bath' base. There is a yellow tint to the glass and the vase stands 19.8cm tall. I also wondered if it predates the formation of Sklo Union?

One of the most difficult vases I have tried to photograph and the images are not that good.

Thanks, John.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Is this a Sklo Union vase?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:18:56 AM »

It looks to be the same as one I have in my SOLD archives - see here http://www.pips-trip.co.uk/sold-glass-archives/sklo-union-glass-1/showitem-SKLO-VASEA.aspx   Mine also had a slightly yellowy tinge to the glass.

I discussed this one with Marcus a while back and at the time he was fairly certain it was Sklo Union production but couldn't tell me much more about it.  Things may have changed now however, this was a couple of years back.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 12:54:42 PM »
Thanks Pip, yes it is the same design. There are quite a few items in Marcus's database with no image associated, I wondered if it was one of those items but I do not have the resources required to pursue this possibility (if they exist).

Looks like you had the same difficulties photographing yours that I did with mine, clear glass is so much more demanding than coloured. The different angles/planes in the vase make it very tricky, I had slightly better results on an overcast day than I did in bright sunshine.

John.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 02:00:34 PM »
Yeah not a great picture that!  It was early on in my dealing days - I'd like to think I'd make a much better job of it now :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand