No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Lighter - any ideas who made it?  (Read 1423 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Murano Lighter - any ideas who made it?
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:25:39 AM »
Hi all - I bought this a few months ago and was wondering who made it. Was there a limited number of furnaces that made lighters or was this a very common item?

Had a good look around the web but nothing much came up.

It is about 5" tall and weighs about 400g.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Murano Lighter - any ideas who made it?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:44:00 AM »
Lighters were made by many Murano companies. Maybe all of them. The metal inserts were often made in places like Japan, then put in the lighters. I am not sure that yours in Murano, though. The ridged arcs remind me of the vases made by a Czech company. Maybe someone else will know for sure whether yours is Murano or Czech. I'll try to check down the Czech vases. (I can't remember the Czech vases having bubbles, so I am really unsure.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 02:02:54 AM »
Thanks Anita - the lighter part is Japanese and seems to fit very well.

I was hoping that a limited number of manufacturers made them but that is not the case from your mail. Czech is fine with me although I prefer Murano, I have a couple of pieces of Czech glass and think it is well made.

regards

Ardy
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 03:14:17 PM »
I found a Seguso VA vase on page 68 of Pina's Italian Glass Century 20 that has glass arcs similar to your lighter. The vase is green bullicante. The similarity of the arcs make me suspect that your lighter is Seguso. They did a lot of lighters.

One question -- is there any amber or yellow in the glass, or is it just the color of the metal part showing through in the second picture?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 10:51:38 PM »
Hi Anita - it is all the one light red colour. The yellow in the second photo is the metal base of the lighter.

This is very encouraging and although I am not a smoker I do like this but not so keen on ash trays (work that one out?). I may get the lighter working and see how it goes.

Are these very collectable?

regards

Ardy
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 02:58:19 AM »
They are very collectible, Ardy. They were often sold as part of a set. The set had an ashtray and perhaps a cigarette holder (vase). Maybe you'll find another piece or two of the set if they are still out there. The lighter will be more collectible if you know it is Seguso. It is kind of sad in a way that so much weight is put on the name, instead of on the beauty of the glass. But I guess it will always be that way.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 03:33:40 AM »
I know what you mean Anita ie TXSilver the queen of the Murano Glass Society. :hiclp:
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand