No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: chance/fiesta glass plate ... design?? age??  (Read 4306 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
chance/fiesta glass plate ... design?? age??
« on: July 23, 2009, 10:36:08 AM »
Hi there im trying to get some info on this plate, does anybody know if it has a pattern name and the rough date it would have been designed/made 24.5cms in diameter sticker reads FIESTA GLASS HAND MADE IN ENGLAND
many thanks in advance
michelle

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: chance/fiesta glass plate ... design?? age??
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »
Fiesta Glass, NOT Chance, post 1981. Fiesta stuff often seems to be a mish-mash of various stock transfers, often with white backgrounds. I'm not sure there was much "design"

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 11:46:34 AM »
ahha, id always thought fiesta glass was chance glass, just a branch type of thing, because didnt some of the labels have fiesta chance glass on or was it fiesta ware chance glass?? are they a completly different company then? i thought that Chance brothers was still the "mother company"?? of fiesta glass

michelle

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 01:13:54 PM »
That's why you need David's book. Fiesta Glass was the management buy out of the Fiestaware (the product name) part of Chance Glass when Pilkington's (the then parent company) closed down the Smethwick Chance factory. So yes they are a different company but they did continue producing some, but not all, of the Chance designs, and they did invent some of their own.

If it's floral with a white background or a mix of lace and flowers, it's probably Fiesta Glass, post 1981 and not Chance Glass. If the printing is topside it's definitely neither.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 01:19:17 PM »
aaahhhh now i get it.., i do definatly need to get the book and i keep promising myself i will, ive just spent £50 on two other glass books at a fair last weekend so cant justify buying Davids book this month.. but its my 30th birthday next month so if i hint loud enough i might get it  :24:
thanks michelle

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 01:42:23 PM »
It's well-worth adding to your library Michelle, an absolute mine of information on Chance and even covers some other makers of slumped glass (in the It's not Chance bit) to point you in the right direction for those. :hiclp:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 02:05:12 PM »
I promise i will buy it next month ;D ;D :thup:, well i will definatly show jon where you go to buy it :24:

michelle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand