No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id paperweight design/name  (Read 1743 times)

Offline ejean9

• Members
id paperweight design/name
« on: July 23, 2009, 06:22:59 PM »
Hi all..looking for the name (if it has one) for this paperweight..on bottom it reads..caithness scotland, but nothing else..it is heavy at 689g..2 and a half inch high and over 3 inch wide..second pic makes it look egg shaped..no idea how i achieved that :-[..red with pink/white swirls..any help appreciated..

Jean

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Re: id paperweight design/name
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:04:33 PM »
For Caithness weights go to Scotland's Glass - and in your case do a "product search" for "Desert Spring" - is that the one?
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 09:09:23 PM »
Thank you so much..it looks very like it..one picture seems a bit dark/puple..but that may be the light..i am so glad i now have the name..great link as well will bookmark it...

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 07:50:27 PM »
Managed to get a look at the base of Desert spring..it looks different from my base..my base is red but the base that i seen was white ?..eh back to the search !

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 08:26:10 PM »
Managed to get a look at the base of Desert spring..it looks different from my base..my base is red but the base that i seen was white.

May I ask where you saw this different base?

If you compare the images on Scotlandsglass, you see a colour difference between the 1992 catalogue (first year of issue) and the 2001 catalogue images. Possibly there were also some changes in the base colour - not shown in the catalogues.

On the other hand - Caithness made several somewhat similar weights: just scroll through the "abstract section" (keeping in mind that our catalogue is not yet complete - see here for the status).

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 09:10:06 PM »
Hi Wuff..thank you for replying..i had googled it..sorry i am just learning now about some of the glass i have collected over time..will have a look at the link again...
Jean

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 09:05:15 PM »
On the other hand - Caithness made several somewhat similar weights: .....
Just came across another "candidate" (not yet online on Scotlandsglass): this is a standard design for corporate sales (their 1993 flyer), the type companies could choose from and have them e.g. engraved with their logo or the like.

Sorry, if the image is a bit poor.
If you compare that with your weight and come to the conclusion, that's the one, I would be very interested in high resolution images for Scotlandsglass.

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 09:18:31 PM »
Hi Wuff..very hard to tell..apart from Caithness Scotland across the base..there are no other marks ect..high image pics..no idea how to do that with my wee camera..but if you can tell me how..or the best way to do it..i will do my utmost to get you the pics you require..
Jean

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 09:36:25 PM »
..high image pics..no idea how to do that with my wee camera..but if you can tell me how..or the best way to do it..i will do my utmost to get you the pics you require..

With high-res I mean the original images: I am just assuming that they are larger than 300 x 380 pixels - and hopefully not as distorted as the ones on display here.

In the left hand column you'll find a letter symbol - clicking on it will open a direct email to me, where you can just attach your images. As we cannot be absolutely sure of the identification, your images would be added with a cautionary note, of course.

Thank you for supporting Scotlandsglass, and best regards - Wolf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand