No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: antique bargain or chinese copy?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
antique bargain or chinese copy?
« on: July 26, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »
I noticed this lot at a regional auction house which also allowed online bidding.

I haven't got said item in my sticky paws yet, but it does look suspiciously like a baccarat or st louis upright bouquet with a blue/white torsade.

at the end of the day i think my childrens hard earned inheritance (i've just watched the repaeat of dragons den) of £15 was worth the punt....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
Re: antique bargain or chinese copy?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 09:20:17 PM »
15 you say - I'd be happy to double that ;)

Looks like an antique SL to me.

Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 03:04:11 AM »
The daisy looks like it might be a Fratelli Toso. It is hard to tell without seeing it better. It pales in the light of the bouquet, though. Mighty good find. :thup: :mrgreen:
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 12:25:12 PM »

I do not think it is a Chinese copy.  The flowers look like antique French, and the torsade - thought rather untidy - is the right style. I have seen a Murano weight in this style once, but the torsade was much coarser - so I vote for antique.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 06:35:58 PM »
I just hope the camera 'disortion' is exactly that - just my luck to find a lump missing when it arrives....

I thought I'd go a good deal higher - a gamble I know - and was embarrassed by the girlie shriek I emitted when the auctioneer started at £10.00, rose to £12.00 then the hammer fell at the dizzying heights of £15.00. Good job I wasnt in the auction room!!!

I was rather stunned, especially when the e-invoice came through later that day.

I am reluctant to post my pic of a minature st louis flat posy garlanded on white latticinio I bought at a charity stall for £1.50 - I tried to barter the price down to £1.00 until I realised it was a greyhound charity.........

there are some stunning unrecognised pieces out there!!!

happy hunting.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand