No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone date this Seguso Vetri D'Arte stem vase for me please?  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Tina

• Members
As well as an approximate date, I'd be very interested to learn an approximate value if anyone has an idea? It stands 11 inches and is in excellent condition.

Thanks as always, Tina

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Can anyone date this Seguso Vetri D'Arte stem vase for me please?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 10:10:30 AM »
1950s/60s maybe. The green layer is almost certainly uranium glass.

Does it have a label that says it is it is Seguso Vetri d'Arte? If not where did you find your attribution please. These things usually have a generic Murano label.

A footed one seems quite unusual and these things are usually quite desirable on ebay. We are talking several tens of pounds I would say

Offline Tina

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:20:07 AM »
Hiya!

What delightful news!  :hiclp: I searched Flavio Poli on the internet and I found a picture of it on 20th Century Glass.  It's the first picture in the second row on this link

http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/murano_glass/segusovetridarte_glass/segusovetridarte_home.htm

Not so pleasing - I also found a vase on that page which was stolen when I unwisely did a car boot fair recently  :cry:

Thanks very much

Tina

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 11:07:09 AM »
That's is not always the most accurate of sources, say no more. I'm not saying it isn't Seguso Vetri D'Arte but...
Nice find though

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 05:50:44 PM »
Hello,

In looking at your piece, I would say the attribution you found is incorrect. Flavio Poli & Sommerso glass seem to be to Italian, as Powolny and Tango is to Bohemian. Every piece of two colored (or close) Bohemian glass is Loetz by Powolny, and it seems that almost all Sommerso Italian glass is attributed to Flavio Poli.

Poli's work is much cleaner and architectural than this form is. His style is known for, in many ways, understated elegance and simplicity executed perfectly. Many of his designs can be described as "architectural forms". I do not know that I can remember having ever seen a known Poli design with a foot such as this on it. They may be out there, but I have not a recollection of having seen one.

If you believe the internet, Poli designed 75%, if not more, of the Sommerso glass in existence.

It is a pretty piece, but IMHO I would keep looking as far as attribution goes. If you have a black light, the reaction the outer light green casing has may provide information as to time frame for the item. 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 08:42:53 PM »
I would also have doubts about some of the  Poli attributions  :huh: :-X

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 08:54:11 PM »
I don't trust most Poli attributions. I only trust the ones that are labeled or documented. Some big news for December is the the new Marc Heiremans book on Seguso VA is to be released. Maybe they will have some early releases. It is supposed to have the full Seguso VA catalog! No more guessing what is and isn't Poli. Can't wait.  :chky:
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Tina

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 07:30:01 AM »
Once upon a time, in the age of innocence, I actually believed what I read on ebay!

If you want a laugh, I collected twenty odd aseda jack in the pulpit vases and umpteen bubble glass bud vases before my bubble burst and I found out they're not Whitefriars. I kept collecting regardless

Thank you very much everyone for your help.

Took a quick visit to the animal zoo - nice!

Tina

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand