No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Something rather 'modern' for me!  (Read 4619 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Something rather 'modern' for me!
« on: October 11, 2005, 10:17:31 AM »
I can't help it, I'm an 'old fashioned girl'  :wink:  :lol: so my latest acquisition seems very 'modern' to me!  (Although it does actually seem to have a fair bit of wear on the base, so I guess it's been dragged around the yard a bit in its time   :twisted: )

Can anyone tell me what it is?  And don't anyone say "it's a vase"  :twisted: http://tinypic.com/ehx56c.jpg

It looked Scandi to me, but as you all know, that's not my area - except that I now own (as well as my foreshortened Bo Borgstrom  :cry: ) a 'bamboo' vase and another which PT tells me is a Tamara Alladin!   :shock: What's happening to me!  :shock:

I just liked the colour  :roll:

Leni
Leni

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 10:32:52 AM »
Leni,

Your vase is by Riihimäen Lasi, possibly by Tamara Aladin, but I don't have any proof of that.  Probably from 70's.

TMaritta

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 11:29:03 AM »
Is there anywhere I can find examples of Tamara Aladin's designs to see if mine might be one?

Leni
Leni

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 12:31:58 PM »
Leni,

Your vase looks the right colour for Riihimäen, and this shape usually seems to be described as such, attributed to Tamara Aladin (or sometimes Nanny Still). Without a catalogue, I'm sure we'll never know for sure!

There are a fair few other Aladin designs here:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jost/aladin.htm - includes a brief 'cv' had no idea she had been an air hostess on Finnair!  :shock:  :shock:

Robbo
robbo

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 01:44:55 PM »

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 03:07:08 PM »
Quote from: "robbo"
Leni,

Your vase looks the right colour for Riihimäen, and this shape usually seems to be described as such, attributed to Tamara Aladin (or sometimes Nanny Still). Without a catalogue, I'm sure we'll never know for sure!

Robbo

It isn't a known shape for Nanny Still, but it could be Tamara Aladin.  :)

Thanks for the links Robbo, I liked them!  :D
I am not a man

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 05:04:19 PM »
Quote from: "tmaritta"
Leni,  Try this link  http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=tamara+aladin&btnG=Search

Thanks, Tmaritta, I did that, and that's where I saw my vase attributed to Tamara Aladin, but it was by Amy of Amy's Attique (who is a dealer) and I didn't know iif she was an expert or not  :oops:  :roll:

Max, you speak with authority about the designs attributed to Nanny Still.  Can you suggest a link which I could explore, or do I need to buy another glass book?  :roll:  :wink:

Leni
Leni

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 05:22:46 PM »
the designer could be  called och
cheers Ray

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 05:57:28 PM »
Leni said:
Max, you speak with authority

LOL!  Yeah, it's not often, is it?!  I quite shocked myself!  Ha ha!  :lol:  :lol:

I'm in VERY grave danger of becoming a bore about this book, I saw it at Ivo's house and it was a little awkward to get hold of. It's called Designlasin Hintakirja.  It's got all the known works of (deep breath here) Kaj Franck, Saara Hopea, Gunnel Nyman, Timo Sarpaneva, Nanny Still, Helena Tynell & Tapio Wirkkala in it.

It's a pesky little book with hundreds of black and white sketches (no photos) of their work, and it does rather do your eyes in after a while  :lol: But it's great for seeing who did what or didn't.

I think you can only get it direct from the Finnish Glass Museum, but I have the contact details if anyone wants them.  I think it was about £40.

I also asked the Museum if they had any books on Tamara Aladin, but they didn't.  :(  She does feature in some of their books, but there isn't one soley devoted to her work.  Annoying huh?   :roll:
I am not a man

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 03:09:39 AM »
Quote from: "Max"
Leni said:
Max, you speak with authority

It's called Designlasin Hintakirja.  It's got all the known works of (deep breath here) Kaj Franck, Saara Hopea, Gunnel Nyman, Timo Sarpaneva, Nanny Still, Helena Tynell & Tapio Wirkkala in it.

It's a pesky little book with hundreds of black and white sketches (no photos) of their work, and it does rather do your eyes in after a while  :lol: But it's great for seeing who did what or didn't.

I think you can only get it direct from the Finnish Glass Museum, but I have the contact details if anyone wants them.  I think it was about £40.

Max, sounds like a fantastic reference. Have you got the contact details, or are they on the website?

Cathy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand