No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Eneryda footed bowl  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Eneryda footed bowl
« on: July 27, 2009, 06:47:11 PM »
Does anyone have any information about this rather unusual bowl from Eneryda Glasbuk, Sweden please?  Designer/age/techniques used.  There isn't much info available about Eneryda, but I have found out that it was started by the Director - Arnold Karlsson, in a former tannery, c.1956-1982.  No information about designers that I could find.

The black with blue on the reverse side, is on the exterior of the bowl.  It has a mottled opalescent applied foot with an impressed mark.  The foot has a firey glow when held to a light source.

I've only ever seen bottle vases and stylised bears with paper labels from Eneryda, and this is the first bowl, and a marked one at that.

Perhaps the image of the Eneryda impressed mark can be added to the relevant section?  :)

TIA ;)
Anne E.B

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Eneryda footed bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:17:18 AM »
Thank you for posting this. Can you give a closer description of the surface? You mention black and blue - how do we see this, is it a mixed colour? Is it cased and then blown open or applied? Can you feel the white lines?
I'm asking because I have a similar set which managed to escaped identification for at least 15 years....

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 01:43:56 PM »
Perhaps the image of the Eneryda impressed mark can be added to the relevant section?  :)

TIA ;)

Done as requested Anne, thank you for suggesting it. :)
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11832
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline inca

• Members
  • Stockholm, Sweden
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 02:49:46 AM »
Does anyone have any information about this rather unusual bowl from Eneryda Glasbuk,
Sweden please? 

We discussed Eneryda here
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,17497.0.html

Then if you go to this site
http://www.glasgarden.se/bilder.html
scroll down and you will find similar type of vase.
all texts and pictures © Ingela Nyrén

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 04:45:06 PM »
Thanks Ingela.  I thought it was an Eneryda Glasbruk piece, but looks like it is an Eneryda Glass Studio piece instead, if I'm reading it correctly.  It might not be clear from the pic. of the mark, but it has Eneryda Glas impressed on the base.

Ivo, its my understanding (with help from more knowledgeable friends), that the piece looks to be 'crizzled'.
I know nothing about this technique personally and have nothing similar to compare it with, but IMHO the bowl looks as though a gather of clear glass has been rolled firstly in powdered blue enamel before being reheated and blown, then rolled in black etc. before being cracked when placed in water.  If I've got it wrong, then I've misunderstood the technique.   It has a network of clear lines (it just looked white on the pic. because it was photographed against a white background).  The surface feels slightly textured around the bottom of the bowl, becoming smoother towards the rim.

This pic. shows the exterior view with traces of blue showing just at the edges of the clear lines.  
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/DSCF58761.jpg

Apologies for wittering on a lot ;D

This picture shows the blue interior.   It has a 'powdery' texture look at the bottom.  The blue is a deeper colour at the bottom before becoming lighter in the middle section, then darker towards the out turned rim.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/DSCF5878.jpg
Anne E.B

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 08:17:16 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, that makes a lot of sense. :hiclp:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum