No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone identify the signature ID = 'Pomona', Lars Hellsten for Orrefors  (Read 3240 times)

Offline John Virgin

• Members
Hi,

Can someone help to identify the designer of this Orrefors bowl?  I cannot make out whether it is 8H or SH or PH.....  I consulted books on Scandinavian glass and also the Internet, but not much help.

Thanks in advance.

JV

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Can anyone identify the signature of this bowl?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 05:41:22 PM »
Assuming that the two letters after the engraved 'Orrefors' end with an H, then according to the list of the designer codes used by Orrefors in Scandinavian Glass Smoke and Ice (same in Fire and Sea) there are two possibilities. Either EH for Edward Hald or LH for Lars Hellsten, looks more like EH to me but both would indicate an item post 1970.

John.

Offline John Virgin

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 06:57:27 AM »
Well, I just happen to browse the little window on the top listing what this site is selling on ebay and hey presto, the exact same bowl appears.  The only difference is, in that one the signature clearly says B and the word "Hellsten" but mine is only B H and a serial number.  I'm happy I got this resolved.

Here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290333577326.

JV

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 06:57:54 AM »
easy 'Pomona', Lars Hellsten.

The ebay piece is the same but looks like a post signed item.

Offline John Virgin

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 02:33:31 PM »
Thanks Daniel. 

Now that I know the model name and designer, it is now suddenly everywhere.  I found another one (with the signature as "Lars Hellsten"!) on Ebay and the asking price is way way more than what I paid for mine!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lars-Hellsten-ORREFORS-Crystal-Footed-Pomona-Bowl_W0QQitemZ300330528213QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090716?IMSfp=TL090716144005r22536

JV

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 05:18:35 AM »
glad i could help.

Please dont get too carried away. I would say that the value isnt more than 10-25 usd. Atleast here in sweden. YOu can often buy similar pieces at fleamarkets for next to nothing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand