No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Italian?  (Read 1395 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Italian?
« on: July 28, 2009, 03:45:36 PM »
Moulded with 'gold' inclusions and lions heads applied,no pontil.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Italian?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 05:23:26 PM »
you can leave off the quotation marks because there is no substitute for gold. It is the real stuff - lesser metals would just burn.

I suggest you search this forum for "lion prunt" or "angel prunt" - which will lead you to an unsatisfactory discussion about these appliques.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:27:31 AM »
May I add most unsatisfactory - I just tried the suggested route and it lead nowhere.

In any case, there are a few new things to add.

First of all, without room for mistakes, a blue bowl with three lion prunts and gold in the cristallo stand, rim and prunts. On the underside the unphotographable remnants of a scalloped gold foil sticker where MA, I and IT can still be seen. MADE IN ITALY - a generic label, which maybe someone can date?

Second, from the same source as the blue bowl, two red salts with clear trim and gold powder. I believe these are quite recognisable.  My suggestion is Barovier & Toso. Can anyone confirm this?

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 08:03:54 PM »
Thought I'd add a couple more for people to muse over,lions heads on the vase rough pontils on both

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 05:50:32 PM »
Yes, it is made in Murano at 99%. The lion is one of the most common decor and pratically a small moul with the lion between tools of  every Murano glassmaker!

Ciao

Alex

www.artofvenice.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 07:41:30 PM »
Thanks for the info,Keith.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »
Thought I would add this link here of some other similar items design (for reading interest), but they do not have the lion head on them.  Thxs.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19499.0.html
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand