No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 3 fiori paperweights.  (Read 9549 times)

Anonymous

3 fiori paperweights.
« on: October 11, 2005, 03:46:09 PM »
Hi I'm new here as well as in Venetian paperweight collecting.

I have been to Venice about 7 times and usually was not tempted by those paperweights but my taste has maybe changed and one day I find this 3 Firori paperweight at a shop in Murano and bought it. I think I liked it because I found it sort or oriental looking, Japanese kimono motif, etc.  That was last February.

In May when I travelled there again, having learned that 3 fiori ceased its production, I was skeptical to find its variant models and indeed I found very few in Murano (still found one I liked just before leaving the island for maybe 30 % higher price than the 1st one.) Then surprise, a shop near a Rialto had plenty of them and another shop nearby the train station, at approximately the original price I paid. I bought then many more pieces than I thought I would. I was on a solo low budget travel and these weights costed me much more than the trip (train-hotel). I kept saying to myself I could keep some of them to myself and make a gift of others for my friends at important occasions (e.g.my best friends will be celebrating their 10-year anniversary next year.).

Here are half of what I bought.
http://tinypic.com/ehyjq0.jpg
Except for 2 square Ragazzi ones, all are 3Fiori.

The following "flower basket" modes are what I like especially. The first one ever I bought was of this type.
http://tinypic.com/ehyr21.jpg

Question:
You see mille fiori and golden lines. The golden lines look like of copper but the Venetian shop owner at Rilalto told me this is of some sort of grounded stone. He gave the name of the stone but I lost the note. Does anyone have any idea? The name could start with A or E but I'm not sure. Otherwise, I will go ask him next December when I will be there.

They are about 10 cm by diameteres.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
3 fiori paperweights.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 04:55:17 PM »
Very nice!  :D I think you did very well, there!   :shock:  These weights can only go up in value, now that 3Fiori is sadly gone  :(

I envy your lucky friends who will be getting such wonderful presents!   :roll:

Could the word you're looking for be Aventurine?

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline hike

• Members
3 fiori paperweights.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 07:32:11 AM »
Thank you for your reply, Leni.

Aventurine? Could well be it. Sounds a bit familiar. The shop owner might have said that word or called it a slightly diffrent Italian way. OK, I will visit the shop and ask him again to be sure.

Thanks, again.

Offline EstlinClichy

• Members
italian beauties
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 12:35:09 PM »
Very nice gathering of Murano weights. The word you're looking for is aventurine.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
3 fiori paperweights.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 08:50:55 AM »
There is a mineral (rock) aventurine which is a quartz and mostly green, the glitter coming from mica.

Aventurine Glass is not made from this rock but from glass and copper salts, the name of the rock form was taken from the glass which was discovered in Italy in the 16th century. Colours other than gold are gotten from other metal salts.

Anonymous

3 fiori paperweights.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 09:28:53 AM »
Hi Frank thanks for your reply. And an interesting observation. One shop owner said aventurine (now I think that's the word.) is a sort of ground stone but there WAS another who mentioned copper. So you say mines are "glass and copper salts" but not the ground aventurine stone?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
3 fiori paperweights.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 12:53:34 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Funny, my profile did not show up. Hike and Guest are the same person.

This board has a rather puzzling quirk that it randomly logs out users so posts appear as if from a Guest. Sometimes you have to log in more than once for the login to stick, but even then a post can show as Guest. We do not know why this happens  it is just one of the peculiarities we have to live with I'm afraid.  :roll:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
3 fiori paperweights.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 01:00:40 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
So you say mine are "glass and copper salts" but not the ground aventurine stone?

Yes.

If you were to grind the stone up the result in glass would be nothing like aventurine, if you did not grind too finely so that some of the Mica stays intact it would show up as silver flecks/spots.

Hike/Guest

3 fiori paperweights.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 01:36:53 PM »
Frank, thanks for another reply regarding aventurine.

Anne, thanks for the explanation. I can certainly live with that although it may be sometimes confusing to identify if there are more than one posters shown as Guest. I guess I should sign at the end of each post.

Hike/GVA

Offline hike

• Members
3 fiori paperweights.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 09:19:38 AM »
Just trying to see if I'm logged in.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum