No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Handkerchief Vase Thread - Not Italian  (Read 15632 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Handkerchief Vase Thread - Not Italian
« on: October 11, 2005, 05:08:13 PM »
I thought it would be fun to start a thread for Chance Glass Handkerchief Vases, also any other Countries / Manufacturers other than Italy

Murano board has its 'Fazzoletto Thread' so this is for the 'Glass' board

Any rarer hand finished items appreciated - not just by Chance but by the many Scandinavian companies that also did this type of vase - also good idea to keep emphasis on 1950 - 70

Here is 7" high (up to 9" across) Chance 'Double Rolled' Handkerchief Vase - Blue 'Aqualux', c1960s

I love the hand finishing to all the edges and the Double Rolled / Aqualux thing which gives the lovely consistent mottled effect - not to sure about the 'double rolled' description - I know Aqualux was an older type glass used only for a short time before Fiesta came in, is Aqualux the thickness/type of glass and 'double rolled' the effect (mottled)

http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/chance%20glass%203.jpg <~~~ Pic lost

http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/chance%20glass%202.jpg <~~~ Pic lost

You can still get these so cheap and I think they stand up easily against some of my Italian Fazzoletto

Adam D555
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Handkerchief Vase Thread - Not Italian
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 05:12:54 PM »
Quote from: David555
... the many Scandinavian companies that also did this type of vase
Adam D555

Could you be more explicit. please? Which companies?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 05:22:30 PM »
Ahhh now we may make some discoveries here Ivo

But here is a Muurlanlasi Oy of Finland Vase - signed 'Muurla' - I suggest it keeps within the boundaries of the vases I am talking about

I mean, it will mostly be Chance, I am just opening the door a bit

Adam D555
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 05:00:40 PM »
Anne E.B

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 06:36:19 PM »
Here's one of the pop art range:

http://tinypic.com/fau0pw

My next post will show a pic of the four different sizes I have come across in the Chance range.  Emmi

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 06:42:05 PM »
And here are the four different sizes I have.  From left to right:
1) 8"h x 11:w
2) 6.5h x 9"w
3) 5"h x 7"w
4) 4"h x 6"wide ( all approx. as you know difficult to measure accurately.

Photo not brilliant, but you can see the size differences

http://tinypic.com/fbfjhd.jpg  <~~~ Pic lost

And then there's the intaglio types.  Most beautiful of all I think.  I posted ione on here a few months ago.  Emmi

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 07:16:33 PM »
Anne these are fantastic photos

The Chance Bros. Handkerchief vases are excellent

The Bagley, Mdina, Muurla, and other vases are all exactly what I wished for this thread, showing Chance and Handkerchief vases by other manufacturers other than Italian

I forgot about 'Bagley Jetique' they did these in various sizes, I seem to remember seeing a very large one, they look almost ceramic

Great to see that different style Muurla, like Venini they possibly varied the form a great deal

I like your fluorescent very large Handkerchief vase, I wonder about its maker and date

I have two ceramic Handkerchief vases by UK makers, not relevant to this thread unfortunately - they are 1960s and show how the form was popular in many materials

Here is a vase I posted on the Murano board but really belongs here, it was attributed to Czech 1970s on that board I think - maker unknown, and it does have an old paper label saying ‘Foreign’

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/handkercheifvase.jpg  <~~~ Pic lost

Thanks again, your post has really made this thread

Adam

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 07:27:23 PM »
Lovely photos Emmi and good research on the sizes, the 8" / 11" wide are hard to come across and are like consume so much space

I think the Intaglio cut or flashed are some of the most beautiful, can you get a better picture to post

I do like the plain & textured ones as well, I get an ID and history on 'Aqualux Double Rolled', I think the striated textured vases are also Aqualux (type of glass slightly thicker than later versions) but have they an actual name like 'Double Rolled'?

Adam

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 07:42:32 PM »
Dear Guest, not sure if you wanted a picture of the intaglio....but here it is anyway!!

http://tinypic.com/fav29c

It is standing on a matching tray.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 08:09:19 PM »
That's a real beauty Emmi :P   Don't see many of those about and I'm sure they must be extremely collectable.  Did they make other matching items?  Thanks for the picture of the black and white too.  I wonder if Chance handkerchief pattern designs reflected textile designs of the time?  Seems to me that they might well have.

Adam -  the large fluorescent one wasn't quality glass.  However it looked amazing in sunlight and shone like Billy-O.  I always felt that it was perhaps Chinese, but have never seen anything like it before, or since to substantiate that suspicion.  Your 70s Czech one I have seen before, but felt that these were possibly Chinese.  I think I may have seen one in a charity shop with its sticker on some time in the past.  I remember thinking that they were asking Murano prices for a Chinese piece, but I could be wrong.  I'll check back to see if I have a labelled picture.

Going off-glass, have you seen these made in clear perspex?  I've come across a couple in my travels and  I did have one once, but it was easily scratched.  I was never sure if it was made for sale generally, or whether it was someone's school Design & Technology project :roll:

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand