No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Handkerchief Vase Thread - Not Italian  (Read 15558 times)

Anonymous

Handkerchief Vase Thread - Not Italian
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 08:58:38 PM »
Anne - I think Chinese was also mentioned for the block based vase I posted, good possibility, it is so well made with a ground concave pontil and very fine good layers, shows not all Chinese was quickly or roughly made

Emmi, what a great picture for this thread, I was thinking of the ruby flashed vase seen in Millers, your white intaglio with matching dish is indeed top of the range in my mind, the man hours it must have taken finishing a piece like this must make it rarer than most

I love the matching tray, throws up the question how many other vases had matching trays?

Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 01:24:21 PM »
Here's another Chance handkerchief vase bought this morning.  Quite a big one at 6" high and almost 9" at its widest.  I haven't seen this transfer print  Fleur-de-Ly design before.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/misc008.jpg

I'm still looking out for one like Emmi's beautiful intaglio design :shock:

Anne E.B.  ;)
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 02:53:20 PM »
That is really stunning, I haven't seen that design before EVER! Lucky you!And a great size!
My lovely Intaglio set (tray and large vase) may have to be re-homed at some time, as I am seriously running out of space - my Whitefriars collection is taking over now.  Or maybe I will have to move to a larger house..what's a girl to do?  Emmi

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 04:36:06 PM »
Hi Anne

I love your Fleur-de-Lys design vase - it is just what the doctor ordered to keep this thread alive.

Exciting, I have never seen this pattern before; the colours are so well balanced.

I know David is a great enthusiast and has a better knowledge than me of the Chance Handkerchief Vase. As you say Anne I hope he looks in as well and gives his comments.

I agree about the display and storage of these larger vases. There is no other glass item I find as hard to display in a row or group, they seem to grow in size all of a sudden LOL, also they are a nightmare to store being so delicate.

But it's worth it - I seem to see a new pattern (to me) every week or so now and am glad people are doing research  on them. I can only wonder how many variations were actually produced. I get the feeling that some must have been made in much smaller runs and over shorter time periods than others, also that they produced special editions for retailers or exporters - time will tell

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 04:58:57 PM »
Glass collecting is a bit like waiting for a bus :!:   You wait for ages and nothing happens.  Suddenly, three turn up at once :roll:

So here's my second (third still to come :P  ) bought since last weekend.   Its the same as Emmi's pop-art version.   I've nicknamed this one my "Bridget Riley" bowl - its 4" high.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/popart.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/chance001.jpg

Anne E.B.
Anne E.B

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 09:13:02 AM »
:D:D:D

This is a picture of one of my TKMaxx specials. It's Tarnowiec and I use it as a wastepaperbasket. I've posted this picture before, the vase contains the inside of a loo roll so you can get an idea of the size, (11"tall).

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/70d73195.jpg

I'm still in chaos at home and unable to get any photography done for lack of space and access to all my bits!  :cry: :cry: :cry:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 04:42:36 PM »
That's a real beauty Sue :P  - seems a shame to use it as a waste paper bin.  Tarnowiec (Poland) make some really huge pieces of glass - and really nice quality too.  I tried googling Tarnowiec but couldn't find out much about them.  I didn't know TKMaxx sold their products and wondered where they could be bought from - so thanks for that.  I bought mine second hand.  Its a huge vase weighing nearly 3kg.  It lives on the bathroom window because of the room it takes up :roll: .

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 09:59:12 PM »
:D :D :D

I saw some Tarnowiec in Poland, but not much. I saw very little glass in Poland. I don't see as much in TKMaxx as I used to, but then, I don't get there as much as I used to - it got moved to an awkward spot for those of us who use public transport.

:oops: I don't think it's a shame to use it the way I do - it gets a place to itself where it can be seen, without using up my shelf space, and it adds style to my cloakroom.

:D Anne, wombling along, but "Homeward Bound" :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 09:18:29 PM »
Hi

I wanted to add this Holmegaard Handkerchief Vase by Per Lutkin in Sapphire Blue.

B&W scan from 'The Studio Year Book - Decorative Art - 1956-7 volume 46'  - pp100

These books are excellent filled with glass and porcelain and pottery

Notice the spelling Holmegaards Glasvaerk A / S

Keeping the thread alive :?  :)  :)

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2006, 02:53:41 PM »
Another for this thread.

This is a strange one. Ruby glass, gilt on the rim and all the hallmarks of Chance. However, it is not a regular shape like other Chance vases (the highest point is 4", but all others are about 3½") and the wear on the base is minimal, although gilt looks aged. The thickness of glass is also not consistent and goes from 3.4mm down to 2.2! Sounds a bit anal, but Chance glass is made from rolled glass and is normally very accurate (1/8" or ~3mm).

There are also some matt areas on the inside of the folds, presumably made by the former, that I've never seen on Chance vases.

Possibly an earlier development model?

:shock: click to zoom :shock:
::
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum