No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Handkerchief Vase Thread - Not Italian  (Read 15578 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Handkerchief Vase Thread - Not Italian
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2006, 02:59:30 PM »
Quote from: "DenCill"
Possibly an earlier development model?

Or someone else copying the Chance hankies perhaps?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2006, 06:14:20 PM »
Quote from: "Anne"
Quote from: "DenCill"
Possibly an earlier development model?

Or someone else copying the Chance hankies perhaps?

Could be: a student piece maybe? Or perhaps a test piece: these would commonly find their way into workers homes. If so, I suppose it could be called a frigger.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 12:12:12 AM »
A beautiful and unusual vase David

Thanks for showing it to us - there seem to be a lot more companies out there that did the handkerchief vase than I at first thought.

I have a few with old labels saying Foreign to base which are attributed to Chinese or Czech 1970s

I wonder about your vase though - I am interested in pieces made by Chance while they were making the transition from the old 'Aqualux' glass which was thicker than 'Fiestaware' - I don't know if Chance made handkerchief vases pre 1951 (Fiestaware), I do know they continued to use Aqualux for vases (rolled, ribbed) along side the thinner glass for some time.

Sources tell me that Chance made 'Aqualux' handkerchief vases right up until the late 1960s while they had phased it out for other products?

Your vase looks like red 'Aqualux' with a thinner opaque glass outer, gilded rim - I think it looks so Chance in shape and form.

It could be a pre 1951 piece, late 1940s  - 1950

It is very intriguing

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2006, 09:37:46 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, the first Handkerchief vases produced by Chance were the intaglio version and these date no earlier than 1957. I believe the 'Fiestaware' models followed within a year or two in favour of intaglio.

Aqualux was used twice for glassware and both times used textured rolled sheet glass (basically 'obscure' window glass). The first range was introduced in 1939 and subsequently dropped due to WWII. The second time was probably mid-1960s (edit: called Carnival, not Aqualux)) and I think this continued right up until they closed in 1981. But although I have no information dating it earlier I have only started researching this aspect of Chance.

If this vase is a Chance model, I assume it could have been an early test piece (but why gild it? Perhaps finished by a worker for his/her own use?) although I wouldn't have dated it earlier than 1955. Depends how long Chance were developing the vase I suppose...
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2006, 10:08:43 PM »
:D:D:D

Hi David,

This vase has 5 points and is irregular, while Chance ones have 4 points and are regular. My tuppence worth is that Davidson were making "hand-made" ruby crystal pieces at some stage in the proceedings (how's that for vague) because I've picked up the odd piece with a label. According to LJ's 20th CFG, p64, "In the '50's &'60's.... the factory produced some contemporary-style looped and elliptical vessels, created by reheating a basic pressed shape and manipulating it into a more organic form."  
I'm sure mine's the elliptical stuff they refer to. After that, they did WF barky stuff too. It's just a possibility. Something about your hankie reminds me of the bowls I have. Possibly the colour. :oops::oops::oops:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2006, 11:01:09 PM »
Hi Sue,

The photo is deceptive, but it does only have four points (otherwise the blank would have been 5-sided). I know that Bagley made handkerchief vases (the Bagley Glass book has an excellent photo of a worker with an elaborate tool being used to push the flat glass over the former) but wasn't aware of Davidsons vases. But I'm sure this is rolled glass so would still veer towards it being Chance.

Edit: Meant to say; I don't think this is ruby-flashed either, but single colour glass.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2006, 11:26:37 PM »
Here is a link to website with a Bischoff Handkerchief Vase – they called it a 'Nappy Vase'

Link to Bischoff Handkerchief Vase

I think USA companies did a few Handkerchief Vases

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2006, 05:48:01 PM »
Just spotted this irridescent "blue carnival glass" handkerchief vase on eBay.  Its rather pretty and unusual.  Seller's not too sure of origins.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7407346740 :P
Anne E.B

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2006, 06:16:26 PM »
Very interesting, Anne  8)  

But as the listing is in the USA I imagine it derived from a company there or is a one-off student piece. The iridescent finish is certainly odd though. I know a few US-based comapnies that produced 'bent' glass: Houze and US Art Bent Glass Co. for the domestic market, although there are several producing for the industrial sector, like Standard Bent Glass Corporation.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2006, 12:42:34 PM »
Here's a new piece I've acquired.  It's a brown gingham....BUT.....the brown stripes are vertical and not the usual horizontal

http://i7.tinypic.com/21kavk3.jpg <~~~ Pic lost

Has anyone else got something similar?   Emmi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand