No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Toxic free crystal  (Read 8799 times)

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
Re: Toxic free crystal
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 07:03:31 AM »
Adam, Hi!
May I suggest you Google "Lead Release from Crystal decanters"  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8157224, and this from Wikipedia....

"Safety

It has been proposed that the historic association of gout with the upper classes in Europe and America was, in part, caused by their extensive use of lead crystal decanters to store fortified wines and whisky.[9] Lin et al. have statistical evidence linking gout to lead poisoning.[10]

Items made of lead glass may leach lead into the food and beverages contained.[11][12] In a study performed at North Carolina State University,[13] the amount of lead migration was measured for Port wine stored in lead crystal decanters. After two days, lead levels were 89 µg/L (micrograms per liter). After four months, lead levels were between 2,000 and 5,000 µg/L. White wine doubled its lead content within an hour of storage and tripled it within four hours. Some brandy stored in lead crystal for over five years had lead levels around 20,000 µg/L.[14][15] To put this into perspective, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's lead standard for drinking water is 15 µg/L = 15 parts per billion.[16] Citrus juices and other acidic drinks leach lead from crystal as effectively as alcoholic beverages. When lead-glass beverage containers are used in the ordinary usual way they do not pose a health risk.[17][18] Under conditions of repeated use of the decanter, the lead leaching steeply decreases with increasing use. This finding is "consistent with ceramic chemistry theory, which predicts that leaching of Pb from crystal is self-limiting exponentially as a function of increasing distance from the crystal-liquid interface."[18] Lead leaching still occurs, but the quantity that leaches into a glass of wine or other beverage let stand for a few hours is much smaller than the quantity of lead consumed daily in ordinary diet. An ordinary diet contains about 70 µg of lead per day" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_glass
Also
http://www.chicagoartistsresource.org/node/9282

May I also give an update?
There is no danger, repeat no danger in drinking from lead crystal, providing you follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Some companies put a special coating on the inside of lead crystal decanters, and wash with aecetic vinegar, their product or use a special ultrasonic cleaning bath to remove any lose particles from the lead crystal, to reduce any leaching.
Also the older crystal gets, the less it will release, so antique, well used decanters should fly of the shelves now!

So why have we invented and patented the "World First non toxic Crystal"? ( Sorry for teh pun! It is a World First we believe, and it puts the world first.

We wish to remove toxic chemicals, ( definition- those that the European Chemicals Handling Agency( ECHA) has qualified as "Sbstances of Very High Concern - links to cancer and tumour formation etc, from the food chain, from factories ( where their handling and use comes under COSHH (Control of Substances Harmful to Health), and REACH and EU safety body , Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation & Restriction of CHemicals (REACH).

Also having yourr emissions from your chimmnies tested every six months to ensure the filters and scrubbes are working, is VERY expensive.

Also you need a local Authority licence to manufacture lead that costs about £3k a year.

All these controls put up the cost of making lead crystal.

If you can now produce a glass almost as good, why not?

The lead crystal industry we reckon is worth about £2.3bn a year, so my move is not welcome by some very large lead crystal companies!
 But smaller ones are more flexible and seem to like the idea of a "green", sustainable, environmentallyfriendly crystal glass that meets all the legal limits of the EU Directive!

I felt that the Glass Mesage Board should be properly informed and one of the first to be aware of what is going on.

I just hope I am not pursued by the big boys by legal writs, etc, but we have taken expert advice on this!
the outcome is that a partnership is being formed to bid for EU matched funding to do 3 years research improving our formula, and brining it into bulk production so the public has a choice and an alternative to lead crystal.

DO NOT destroy your lead crystal is my advice, use it carefully and enjoy it.
But consider replacing it with a more World friendly alternative, when it is on the market, perhaps?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 08:23:36 AM »
Also the older crystal gets, the less it will release, so antique, well used decanters should fly of the shelves now!

I can imagine the scenario in antique markets around the world... "this Georgian decanter looks like it just came out of the glass works! Do you have one with no repaired chips, bloom and internal wear, the stopper must be loose and almost fall through the worn opening... yes and just 1,000 more than the shiny one... would you take 900 more?... deal.

So why have we invented and patented the "World First non toxic Crystal"? ( Sorry for teh pun! It is a World First we believe, and it puts the world first.

Congratulations, now Nazeing could become 'The Name' to look for in decanters! I wish you and your company well on this move.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 08:26:28 AM »
Should not this thread be in Glass?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 09:33:32 PM »
Nope, cos it's British glass works doing it. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 01:24:38 AM »
But it is a global impact, not a parochial one. Needs widest audience.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »
In which case it needs to be in Glass News, Frank, or it will vanish into a plethora of "what am I wanting to sell on eBay" type queries. ;)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »
 :thup:

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 08:26:47 AM »
As I recall Stephen Pollock-Hill talked about Nazeing Glass developing a completely non-toxic recipe at the Glass Association AGM Oct 2009.

Checking their web site, yes they did: http://www.nazeing-glass.com/special/nontoxic.html
Julie

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 01:12:32 AM »
sph@ngw is Stephen  ;) note the initials.

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 01:51:03 PM »
In the forty-odd years since I left the glass industry has anyone come up with any scientific data to indicate that a measurable amount of lead can ever, in normal use, be leached out of lead crystal?

Adam D.

Most certainly! Is the US Food & drug Administration and their researchers regarded as an acceptable authority and The Lancet IN 1991?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1670790
You have not read the Graziano & Blum Colombia University tests done on lead decanters, in 1988, that proved beyond doubt that new lead crystal decanters can omit alarmingly large doses of  lead when first used. It has caused most manufacturers to drop lead in their formulae as well as the fact that it is extremely vulnerable from attack by dishwasher usage on lead crystal glassware.
This was a game changer.
Then when adding lead to petrol  to stop engine knocking was abandon and replaces by better technologies lead crystal glass except for decorative ware was the exception. Why do you think Waterford Stuart and Royal Brierley all went bust about this time? lead, and bad marketing, design, changes in life styles and eating habits, etc. But lead usage played a big part!
I was with the Brussels Commissioners when we learnt they knew about the Us findings and 18 month ban on lead crystal in the US. Waterford were even selling baby's bottles made of lead crystal
California has proposition 65 with massive daily fines if the sale of lead crystal does not carry explicit warnings of poison and ill health to children and mothers from the use of lead crystal glass.
PS In the American language crystal means any glass regardless of lead content. In the EU there are legal definitions of crystal glass in 4 categories

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand