No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase with Spirals - Black and Red topped  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Vase with Spirals - Black and Red topped
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 09:38:36 PM »
Or Australian. Check with some of the studios there.

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »
I agree with the last posts. Also if it is made with a very classic Venetian technique, there are several good glassmakers producing similar works outside Murano. I have some in USA for example..

Sincerely

Alex
www.artofvenice.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 11:34:59 AM »
It reminds me a little of some pieces I've seen in galleries by this company/maker, though there's nothing like it on the site.

http://www.svaja.co.uk/index.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 12:45:05 AM »
Hi All - I have just seen another piece of this on ebay offered by a gallery and they claim that it is Citolia Groviglio by Giampaolo Seguso in 1993 and they have a label on it. It has the incalmo top and I believe this is it. :thup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seguso-Citola-Groviglio-with-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ150374055554QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2302fdfe82&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Hope you all agree.

Can this post be moved back to Murano?

regards
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 06:50:42 AM »
Ardy:

I think what the link establishes is that this style of vase was made in Murano in the 1990's. I'm not sure it's made by the Seguso in your link. Alex, from ArtofVenice, would probably be in the best position to provide an answer to that question.

BTW, I'm not diminishing the value of your piece. I've always thought it was a very nice and well made piece. In fact between the two, I like your piece much more.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 08:31:32 AM »
Thanks David and I agree with what you are saying. Although I also like this, I have a fair few A.Seguso pieces and I know which one I would rather have.

It is just that it all seems so difficult to id these pieces. I have a strong suspicion that this is what I guess it to be. There appears to be too many similarities. I am happy to be proven wrong of course as the correct id is really all that counts.

John Phillip seemed to nail it when he thought it was 'mega modern'.

regards and I think good luck is an essential tail end to any glass hunter?
Archimede tops my list.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 11:12:54 PM »
Well it appears you were all correct and I was wrong again!!! don't you hate that?

Got an email back from the gallery that sold many G.Seguso pieces and they said (rough summation)"Nice piece but G.Seguso always signs his pieces and if in a limited number they are numbered" they also said "The break in the lines at the pontil suggest not a master, as no master would allow a piece like that to go out under their name"

Seems it remains in the 'Don't bothery well know' group. Clever how the system makes these word changes.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand