No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Here are the Glass Beads, and such. (Leni? Sue?)  (Read 6892 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Here are the Glass Beads, and such. (Leni? Sue?)
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 06:13:28 PM »
Quote from: "Leni"
I have a family tree going back to the 1400's on www.genesreunited.com and have found many relatives from all over the world through that site!  Would be interesting to find we were related somewhere back when eh, Anne?  :wink:  :lol: Leni

Eeek Leni, one of mine goes back to the 1400's as well.... are you sure you're not my long-lost sister...???  :lol: (We'll have to talk genealogy off the board or we'll get our legs slapped by Frank!!!)  :wink:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »
Quote from: "Cathy Bannister"
Trying to get back on topic, do you know where the glass beads would have been made? Are they European?

Kind regards,
Cathy

My guess is Hudson's Bay Company trade beads from the fur trade days brought over from Europe to trade with the local Native trappers for the furs but a little more research will have to tell  where the beads were actually made, and who made them.

I'm a descendent of the fur trade marriages between the European Hudson's Bay Company workers and local Natives. Cree/Ojibway in my case. My GGG Granny was named "Mary an Indian Woman" in archived records. Maybe that's where I inherited my attraction to shiney pretty glass things and why I love the moccasins in this thread ... beautiful work! And very priceless to own! That photo of "Granny" would make a wonderful family heirloom painting! Know any artists? ;)

(And yessssssss..... geneology VERY addictive :D )

K.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 08:56:58 PM »
A fascinating thread everyone :P   I feel really privileged reading it.  My own roots include Irish, and French somewhere along the line I'm told.  May be the former explains the red hair in the family! :lol:  
Linda - the beadwork is stunning.
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
A little history
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 09:23:14 PM »
A little history I just found for the fur trade beads. Note that MURANO is mentioned as where many were made :)

http://www.furtrade.org/3collct/3collct3.html

K.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand