No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vaseline & Orange Lighter & Bowl - Any thoughts on who made them?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
These are a recent ebay purchase and I am curious if anyone has seen them before, has them in a book or has thoughts on which house did them? The color combo is often attributed to DaRos for Cenedese.  The bowl is about 10" in diameter and is around 3" deep. It is perfectly round and is excellently executed. The lighter is around 6 inches tall and 3.5 inches in diameter at the widest point. They are quite large pieces. The lighter is not crooked like the picture makes it look, it is actually straight and very symmetrical. They both glow like a traffic signal in black light and exhibit age appropriate wear underneath..

TIA 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: Vaseline & Orange Lighter & Bowl - Any thoughts on who made them?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 10:12:45 PM »
As nobody has stuck their hand up, let me make a WAG and say I think the bowl looks like Seguso VDA to me and I wouldn't be surprised if it was by Poli due to the size and execution. The lighter I have no idea about apart from the fact that I like the design very much.

Are they a pair? I cant imagine why they would be, a lighter with a 10" bowl just doesn't make sense.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 02:46:18 AM »
Could the bowl not be an ashtray (if there are dents, then for cigarettes, if not, then for pipes)

Carolyn

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 03:25:42 AM »
Yes it could but I cant see any cigarette dents/supports in the photo and the edge appears rounded and sloped away from the centre.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 04:39:15 AM »
Hi there, No dents for cigs.....  and I don't think it would work for a pipe as it is too wide and a pipe would most likely slip into the middle as there is nothing to really hold it in place..... It is by far the largest sommerso bowl I have, and I have a hard time remembering one I have seen that is larger. The bowl weighs almost 8 lbs. I think they just happened to end up together later in life and appear to be by the same company..... 
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 04:46:17 AM »
They may have been bought at the same time just to decorate the coffee table. It's possible the matching ashtray, if there was one, got broken. I have to say I am  :mrgreen:

Although it probably doesn't apply in this case, it's worth remembering there was a time when ashtrays were subject to additional tax, so if it didn't have slots, it wasn't an ashtray (cough, cough). It's a bit like the celery vases that aren't flower vases (cough, cough).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand