No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cobalt and Vaseline UFO Orb Dish - Maker ID Help Please  (Read 2927 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Cobalt and Vaseline UFO Orb Dish - Maker ID Help Please
« on: August 05, 2009, 05:37:55 PM »
Last one today... a new ebay purchase. Very unusual form of dish as the images show. A cobalt and vaseline dish in a very mid century form. Interesting controlled bubbles circle the cobalt interior. The bubbles and the blue showing in the top half of the bowl in the second image are reflections of the lower half. There are no bubbles or blue glass in the upper half of the glass.The bubbles showing at the rim in the third picture are internal reflections of the bubbles around the cobalt. Age appropriate wear underneath. Glows like a traffic signal under black light. It is approx 6.25 inches in diameter and 2.25 inches tall. Got it to go with the Cobalt and Vaseline vase I posted a while ago.....almost identical colors..... The vase colors are deeper than the image shows....  

Any help with this is appreciated as I have not seen this particular form before. Seems distinct enough, especially with the color combo, that someone will have seen it or know it.

As always.

TIA  Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Cobalt and Vaseline UFO Orb Dish - Maker ID Help Please
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 06:44:26 PM »
I thought I would post that there is an ebay auction in the US offered by Javier (Svazzo) that has the same style of bubbles and similar glass color combination and design that has a Galliano Ferro label on it.  Based on this I think it is safe to attribute this UFO piece to Galliano Fero.

Craig

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 08:06:33 PM »
Good detective work, Craig. Galliano Ferro did quite a few uranium pieces, so there is a good chance. Now if someone can locate the exact design... It is a great bowl (or paperweight -- I can't tell which).
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:39:28 AM »
I have to give credit where credit is due. David (Langhaugh) directed me towards Galliano Ferro on another posting. I found a similar piece on ebay offered by 20th Century Glass and it was described as being produced by Jaffe Rose. I contacted Wayne and told him I believed that Jaffe Rose was actually an English Importer and not a manufacturer and that you could also find Jaffe Rose stickers on porcelain and such. He asked if I knew who it was by and I told him that Galliano Ferro was a possibility that had been suggested to me. He found the auction by Svazzo and sent me the auction number, as he agreed that his piece was also by GF. In all fairness, Wayne found the piece and I simply passed on the info after he sent me the item number. The piece Wayne has for sale is the same shape as mine with an amber insert instead of cobalt.

By the way, it is a bowl and is approx 6.25 inches in diameter.....

Craig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand