No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Cordonato Oro Paperweight  (Read 1157 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Murano Cordonato Oro Paperweight
« on: August 06, 2009, 06:40:49 PM »
While we are talking about Murano paperweights... This paperweight is a fairly common one. It is about 4" tall and made in the cordonato d'oro technique. I once thought that these were Barovier & Toso, but since then have learned that many companies used the technique. I suspect the weights may actually be Fratelli Toso. They often have a KB label (which doesn't mean F'lli Toso), but I've never seen one that has a company label. Has anyone seen one of these that have a definite attribution?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Jurgen

• Members
Re: Murano Cordonato Oro Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 01:30:28 PM »
Hi all.....................It looks F/T to me too! Alot of my F/T things have the K/B sticker, but that's no guarantee. I also have a few AVEM things with K/B stickers!......................Jerry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 11:08:59 PM »
I have one of these beauties too. When I saw one in an antique shop, I never forgot it: the design was entrancing. It was shimmering among the rusty odds and ends that shared the cabinet. After a year of attempting to win one on eBay, I finally got one for about $30.

I had assumed it was a Barovier but now I'm wondering. I took mine down and looked closely at the finishing. FTs 'eggs' were always more bullet shaped and this one is like that. FT also sometimes has a spot at the top that feels sort of bumpy. This one has that too.

My question is: Did Barovier ever sell any of their stuff with the KB label?
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 12:35:11 PM »
I have never seen something that I knew was BT with a KB label. The only companies I've seen that I know for sure were Fratelli Toso and AVeM. I've also seen some generic Murano pieces, i.e., I don't know who made them. From what I've seen, KB usually imported lower shelf items, with the better of their pieces being the 1950-60s FT millefiori and AVeM tutti frutti pieces.

I sold a couple of these weights as BT back in my early days.  :-[ The last couple I sold I listed only as Murano, because I was no longer sure of the attribution. I'm leaning a lot more to FT now. Wish we could find one with a company label so we could know for sure.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand