No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: painted Amberina??  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
painted Amberina??
« on: August 06, 2009, 07:07:02 PM »
I have just discovered this evening that the colour is painted on - so presumably it is not Amberina, which I had first thought.   The pressed pattern  -  Oak leaves and Acorns reminds me of U.S. depression glass.   About 15 cms. high, and about 13.5 cms. wide.  No marks other than a figure 5 on the underside of the base  -  and has a sort of 1930's look.   Any comments appreciated.    Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Re: painted Amberina??
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 12:41:16 AM »
I don't know who made these, but by the number of them seen here in the States in thrift shops, I think much later than 1930s.  I'm off to tag sales tomorrow, and I bet I see several of them.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 11:53:30 AM »
thanks for your reply  -  perhaps I shud pass it on to a charity shop (the equivalent of your 'thrift' shop I assume)  -  and for those like me who do not know exactly what a 'tag' sale is.............'A sale of used household belongings, with prices typically marked on labels affixed to the items'.    I hope you get something good at your tag sales.    Paul S.

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 04:48:04 PM »
Ah yes, the King's Engish.  Of course, with BBC Cash in the Attic on here, I know a charity shop in the same as a thrift shop in the States, and we go to Flea Markets and tag sales but never a boot sale  - unless our Tony LLama's wear out.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 05:09:41 PM »
Let us not forget that in America we have Garage sales.... but never in the garage because that is where we store everything but the car it was intended to hold.   :thup:  They are usually Yard sales.....

Also, "tag sales" are typically east of the Mississippi. We do not call them that in Seattle..  We have Estate sales here....  even if you are not selling your estate.... and are just selling some junk you want to get rid of.   :huh:

I am curious as to the origin of the term "Boot Sale"  does it refer to old shoes, or a part of a car?  or???

Just trying to "understand what you blokes on the other side of the pond" are talking about.   :chky:

Craig

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 05:21:57 PM »
It's from car boot aka car trunk. When they first started I think people didn't have tables, just stuff in their boot. We too have garage sales and don't keep our cars in our garages. We also have table-top sales; they're just like car boots but indoors and usually the organiser supplies the tables. Sometimes there's even inside tables and outside pitches for cars.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 05:34:34 PM »
We call tables set up inside or outside for sellers  "Flea Markets".........   
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 05:38:48 PM »
I believe a boot sale is selling stuff out of the trunk of your car more or less. I always imagined it to be a bit of  a swap meet with a lot of trucks lined up and cars with their backs open --  goods hanging out for all to see.

<whoops, tired this morning. I missed a couple posts. I see that the boot sale was already addressed and I was kind of wrong anyway :)  >

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 05:43:57 PM »
Flea markets are usually commercial enterprises run on a weekly basis with supplied tables and can be inside or out. Car boots never have supplied tables, vendors take their own or not. I think the thing that distinguishes table top sales is that they are charity fundraising events, as are many of the combined inside and outside events. It's all very complicated really  ::)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 06:44:35 PM »
... and back to the subject, this pattern is Jeannette's Stippled Acorns, which according to Glen Thistlewood was made in the 1950s, and is discussed here. The pics have vanished from that thread, so here's another for comparison.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand