No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: IMPORTANT NEWS *****Questionaire for Broadfield House*****  (Read 8523 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
IMPORTANT NEWS *****Questionaire for Broadfield House*****
« on: August 07, 2009, 03:26:06 PM »
                          SAVE BROADFIELD HOUSE GLASS MUSEUM
                                                     YOUR VOICE COUNTS

Hello Everybody,

IMPORTANT NEWS

There is a questionaire on the Dudley MBC website (link below), that I understand has been written by the Feasibility Study consultants L&R. It will be up there until midnight on the 31 August 09.

Please have a look, think about it, then fill it in, and pass on the link to friends, collegues, relatives, and/or put in onto your websites and blogs.

Many, many thanks, Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: IMPORTANT NEWS *****Questionaire for Broadfield House*****
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:01:34 PM »
Has anyone managed to submit this yet as each time I've tried I'm getting the following notice:

Connection Interrupted  
The document contains no data.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

Not a very encouraging start is it?  :-\
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 05:35:10 PM »
Hi Anne,

That may be good, as I am planning to post some information about the Red House Cone site, in particular, which may help your thoughts. However, I am waiting for permission to use it.

Please be patient, thanks, Nigel

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »
Thanks both. Nigel I look forward to reading your info. ;)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 02:25:47 AM »
Me three. I thought it was because I was international, but I guess not.

Carolyn

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 10:57:17 AM »
Hello again,

RED HOUSE CONE SITE - Information:

For some time now I have been discussing the fact the Red House Cone site is more suited to glass archaeology, or, the history of making glass, whereas Broadfield House Glass Museum is really connected with the design and manufacture of glass, or, as we see below – the “Decorative Arts”. I thought it would be interesting for everyone to share in the information supplied to the consultants by the glass historian, Jason Ellis who I contacted for permission to use.

For a large part of its life the Red House had nothing whosoever to do with the “Decorative Arts”. Under Bradleys, Ensells and Holts it was an industrial facility making first window glass, then bottles.

Table glass was introduced later and when owned by Wainwright, cutting began. However, what we know as “Decorative Art” was only produced briefly by Pargeter and subsequently by the Stuarts in the latter years of the site’s life. 

The vitally important parts of the archaeology, such as Ensells’s Lehr and the brickwork showing where the shawrer was extended, make the site of worldwide importance.

Therefore, putting the museum on the RHC site would detract from this and confuse the visitor.”

I hope you all find that as interesting and illuminating as I did, Nigel

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 11:33:34 AM »
More thoughts:

Over recent months it has been noted locally that the cone sited on the Red House Cone site has apparently begun to move.

Glass cones have a history of being there one day and gone the next - once they get into a particular condition - that is why there are only four left in the UK. Traditionally, the outside of the cone would be coated with linseed oil in order to seal it from the elements. Arguably, this was an old fashioned type of mastic. Certainly this is something that cannot be done now because of Fire Regulations.

It is also known that tunnels at the base of this Grade 1 Listed Building are in the process of collasping, although at a meeting I attended this week I understand plans to work on them have, or are, going out to tender. This cannot help the stability of the cone.

My concern is that should we fail to get a stay of execution on Broadfild House Glass Museum, or, the ideal of having a World class facility for the glass and its archives in its place, then I wonder if the Red House Cone site could then be closed for major repairs - meaning we loose both sites. The way Dudley Met Borough Council plans its works I fear that this thought is not impossible! :huh:

Publicity to Broadfield House since January has resulted in visitor figures doubling  :hiclp: When you compare figures with RHC site, adjust for the difference in opening hours, and take into account who is visiting the site about glass (and not for any other reason), BHGM now has double the visitor figures of RHC :D One of the arguements of DMBC was that they were substantually the other way around!!

To me, one answer is straightforward, if DMBC were ever wondering about the validity of BHGM then the uproar that the proposed move has engendered should have dispelled that. Perhaps the simple answer of good publicity and being well signposted would suffice?

Lastly, DMBC is a small borough with no money for major projects, especially in current financial times. Maybe we should be campaigning to get National funding for what is a locally significant resource of its heritage as well as being nationally and internationally important to the world of glass  :)  ;)

Perhaps, this should really be discussed elsewhere on the board, but I felt it was an opportunity to suggest the idea.

Nigel

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 11:06:55 PM »
I've sent an email to Snap Surveys indicating that the link to submit survey responses for this survey was not working. Had to do something while the printer was warming up.  :chky:

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand