No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A glass horror story, not for those of a nervous disposition!  (Read 1863 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
A glass horror story, not for those of a nervous disposition!
« on: August 10, 2009, 03:37:09 PM »
My father has just discovered that a Peter Layton bowl he bought some years ago had suffered from spontaneous cracks developing, I believe due to stresses that can develop when an item cools after manufacture (although his cat looks guilty). These stresses can manifest themselves many years later. :o :cry:

This is not a criticism of the maker, unfortunately it can happen to a variety of glass and with no warning.

Here are some photos of the offending article, you can see where the cracks have run through the body of the bowl but have not affected the glass chips that were used in the decoration (and lie on the outside surface).

Boo hoo, John.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Re: A glass horror story, not for those of a nervous disposition!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 03:41:12 PM »
ohhh we had that happen i was sat in the living room and actaully heard something go, went into the dining room and there was one of my vases with a big crack down it fortunitly not anything expensive but still one i liked

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 04:40:31 PM »
Had the same happen with a pressed glass cakestand, cracked straight across, and that was without the stand screw being tightened. It's always sad to see beautiful glass break like that though.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:01:36 AM »
This can often be caused by factors in the environment it is kept. Any cased glass is at more of a risk. While it is most likely the release of stresses that have been there since manufacture it would normally require an external influence to cause the release. But it can happen spontaneously (i.e. no obvious external event, although their probably was one.)

Factors to avoid:

1. Storing in an airtight (or near so) cabinet. (Ensure ventilation holes at top and bottom)
2. Exposure to sunlight. Particularly thin beams of sunlight.
3. Heat from spotlights (Use LED spots, or fluorescent lighting if you can stand the effect on colours)
4. Immersing in a bowl of warm water, or under a hot tap. (Use tepid soapy water, stand glass on a cloth and bring the water to the glass with a cloth/sponge.)
5. Stubbing out cigars, or resting cigar/cigarettes on it.
6. Applying localised heat.
7. Polishing out scratches etcetera and spending long enough on one area to cause it to warm up.
8. Serving hot food in.

I have seen cased glass breakages caused by all of the above. Guilty of #8.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 04:16:11 PM »
A few years back, at an auction I ran, I picked up a large Italian made duck that weighed maybe 8 lbs (in a floating position without an extended neck) I picked the figure up by the body to turn it over and examine the underside. From simple pressure applied by my hands in the right places, and I was being careful with it, it made a noise and exploded into about 4 large pieces and cut my hands very badly.....  I have never viewed glass the same since that occurred....  The "energy" stored in that piece of glass was unbelievable...  It literally "blew apart" as I rotated it. I of course, thought it had slipped and instinctually tried to grab it before I realized it was in parts. 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 04:22:14 PM »
i had a similar thing happen with a really gorgeous large IOW mushroom paperweight, it had a little grit feel on the top and i just rubbed my thumb over the top once and it exploded in my hand, fortunitly my little lad was over the other side of the room and i managed to get off with no cuts at all. I was quite astounded the force in which it went, infact even now i find it hard to believe it didnt have some find of explosive in it.
michelle

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 04:26:48 PM »
I feel faint...

Large panes of plate glass overhead in shopping centers, hotels and offices have concerned me ever since reading an article on their spontaneous 'failure' (ever seen a film called the Omen?).

John

Offline Tina

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 04:31:02 PM »
A woman who we later discovered had stolen big time from my invalid mother, was handling one of mum's favourite big pieces days after she died and it literally exploded in her hand.

There were glass shards in every corner of the room and she was white faced and shaking like a leaf!

Hilarious because I'm sure she thought my late mum did it.... and until now, there was me thinking the same! .... :chky:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 05:24:21 PM »
I feel faint...

Large panes of plate glass overhead in shopping centers, hotels and offices have concerned me ever since reading an article on their spontaneous 'failure' (ever seen a film called the Omen?).

John

This happened in the shopping arcade in Lancaster a couple of years ago - just cracked and fell - very scary!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 05:56:06 PM »
I am beginning to feel like I need protective clothing when I walk around in my house.....  Like a flak jacket or something......

::)

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand