No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: monart paperweight  (Read 2035 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
monart paperweight
« on: August 11, 2009, 07:29:51 PM »
I've seen labelled examples in books and in the parkington sale but how 'unusual' is the prescence of a monart glass paper label?

I presume its only of academic interest as it allows a better attribution and more realistic year of manufacture?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/monart-paul-ysart-labelled-glass-paperweight_W0QQitemZ250481653565QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a51deb73d&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alik

• Members
Re: monart paperweight
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 08:02:59 PM »
I have seen a number of examples over the years...  apart from aging the weight to the 30's which is great!  It does effect the price by as much as £100.....  I have a few :)

Alik

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 08:42:18 PM »
A friend of mine has a labelled one as well.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 08:47:41 PM »
Hi

I'm not sure the Monart label means it is 1930s: I think that style of label was used until 1961 (though they do not seem to survive very often). What can help date items is the handwritten code, which is missing on this label.

From the design of the millefiori canes I suspect it is later than the 1930s, but maybe KevH knows?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 09:04:45 PM »
I agree it only allows dating to pre-1963 when paul moved to caithness. Cant be any more specific without 'handling' the piece. It gives the impression of a post-war piece although there do seem to be a number of small bubbles so 1950's is my best guess....

I read somewhere that the labelled examples were usually for retail/sale by moncrieffs. If so, most probably headed across the pond I guess....

The striped cane on the outside of the concentric looks very familiar - must check my own collection now!!!

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 09:46:34 PM »
Hi All

I agree that these labels were used up to the time Paul left Moncrieff.

I have six labelled weights and five of them I date as 1960's including an "IEA" weight.

The other is a sulphide of Perth Town Crest which I date as 1940's.

To get an idea of rarity, that is six weights out of 95.

Colin Mahoney  in his new book on Paul Ysart, refers to my five weights as Post-War Moncrieff.

Roy

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 10:13:50 PM »
Hi All again

I must correct my label count in that one of the weights I referred to as 1960 should have been 1940-50.

It also looks like the age of the weight on Ebay

I would not have bothered except when I look carefully at the label I see that someone has written "PERTH" in the area where the numbers sometime appears. All you can see is the indent of the word but it is definitely there.

Worth checking other labels??

Roy

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 01:47:41 PM »
Monart labels may have been applied to all weights that were initially marketed out of the Moncrieff works - but most may have fallen off, or been removed. Many weights that Paul Ysart made may have been "marketed" by him personally, through visits to gift shops etc., without a Monart label.

It is not known whether weights destined specifically for the US, through Paul Ysart's deal with Paul Jokelson (started in the 1950s), would have had the Monart label - but it seems that most of the Paul Ysart weights known from that US trade deal do not have a Monart label.

I have 65 pre-Caithness Paul Ysart items (excluding "badge weights") of which 4 have a Monart label. I have probably seen a dozen or more others (in addition to Roy's) that have a Monart label.

My view is that the "extra value" attached to a Monart label varies according to who is selling it.
KevinH

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 06:45:40 PM »
I dont think it necessarily adds any intrinsic value - but then I wouldn't refuse a monart labelled weight, and I would yelp in alarm if I saw someone washing said label off....

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 12:43:38 AM »
Only 7 coded labels have been located so far LINK

Betty Reid
LINK
applied the labels to all pieces and it can be assumed these also went on Jokelson's orders. Speculation that he removed them has not been confirmed unless in Mahoney's new book.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand