No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ingrid czechoslovakian figurine - ID = Kurt Schlevogt, Gablonz  (Read 10727 times)

Offline Bilbo

• Members
We just inherited this from my late mother in law. It has been in her family for a LONG time. It is in excellent condition and says Ingrid Czechoslovakia on the bottom. It measures almost 9 inches tall. Any pricing info would be helpful as we are interested in selling it to a worthy collector for top dollar. I have researched Ingrid glass and have not seen one like this. Thanks for some replies. Bilbo

Offline PAUL H

• Members
    • GREAT RETRO GLASS
Re: Ingrid czechoslovakian figurine
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:29:33 AM »
Hi... Ingridglas is an Austrian glassworks so maybe the base mark denotes the pattern name. Its a nice piece. Regards Paul.
GREAT RETRO GLASS

Classic 20th Century Design

www.greatretroglass.com

Online Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 08:46:45 AM »
Sorry Paul wrong answer due to too many Ingrids. Ingrid was a brand name from Kurt Schlevogt Gablonz (Jablonec) in Czechoslovakia; part of the production was moved to France after the war.

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 09:05:12 AM »
Exactly collection Ingrid was created by Curt Schlevogt in 1929 (Ingrid was Schlevogt's daughter). Very popular was malachite (jade) glass. After war was Curt as Sudetendeutche few month's arrested and than deported from Czechoslovakia. Later  he estabilished company in France, but the production of his pattern's still continued in Czechoslovakia (Jablonex). More you can find at
www.desna-glass.cz.

I will look for another web sources for you when I will get better internet connection.

Jindrich

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 02:28:05 PM »
Here is part of my understanding of the early Ingrid line by Schlevogt....

Pre war Ingrid production was entirely done in colored glass. Pre war Ingrid colored production was marked with a paper/foil label and not marked in the original molds or etched/engravd on the piece.  

I have added this after the fact: My understanding was in relationship to the large pieces in the line, the paret of the line I had researched previously.

Is it possible to see a good image of the mark underside?

According to the Desna page the piece is titled "Girl in the Wind" and was designed by Ida Schwetz-Lehmann.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Bilbo

• Members
Re: Ingrid czechoslovakian sculpture
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 03:17:36 PM »
 It was difficult to photograph the Ingrid Czechoslovakia signature.  This sculpture has been in my wife's family for 50+ years or more. I have posted 3 pictures. If you enlarge the pictures you can see the signature.

Willie

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 03:59:15 PM »
The following link will direct you to some info on Desna, Ornela, Schlevogt, Hoffman and such. It is a little slow to load, as it is loading PDF pages....

http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/geisel-schubert-hoffmann-schlevogt-engl.pdf

There is an image of the "Ingrid" trademark as used by the Schlevogt Co. It is taken from the handwriting of Curt Schlevogt himself.

Although the mark pictured here does not match the image on the site, it does appear to match the paper versions I have seen on original pieces.

There is quite a bit of interesting historical info provided by the article and also covers poor quality reproductions of the pieces, and some clarifying statements provided by Ingrid Schlevogt regarding myths surrounding the company and her father.

There is also some brief history and information regarding their crystal figures here:

http://www.art-antiques.cz/catalogue/producers/9-curt-schlevogt-company-jablonec-nad-nisou-czech-republic/

Craig

Offline Bilbo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Craig,

Thank you so much for all your help and information. In your opinion, after seeing the signature on my piece, what do you think I could honestly say to represent my piece for sale. Authentic Ingrid? It seems to me that for the age of my piece it could hardly be a reproduction. Tell me what you think.

Willie

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 05:06:44 PM »
The period from 1945 to 1990 is relatively easy to investigate, the difficulties appear after privatisation in 1991.
Original moulds had been divided to several fabricatiors, the most seems to be belongs to Desna. One cannot fully trust to one source of information, becouse between followers Jablonex was competitive war, everybody says, " I have originals and our competitor is robber".

Moreover some fabricators really produce very poor fakes, Prague and moreover eBay is overfilled with such pieces. Label or signature means in such environment nothing.

Jindrich

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 05:24:02 PM »
Hi Willie,

Based on the age wear and the resemblance of the signature to the paper label, it appears it may be an original piece. I can not state that 100% though, as I can not find info regarding the markings and whether the crystal pieces had embossed trademarks or not, and if so, when they started. I can not find any images of them either....

If an original, IMHO it would place the date of production, most likely between 1934-1945, as the firm was pretty much gone by the end of 1945, although the molds still existed, and I am unclear as to the amount of use they were receiving at the time.  The "crystal" Ingrid figures appear to have been introduced in 1934, but I can not find any info telling me when this particular piece was designed or produced in the period of 1934-1945. I also can not find an image of an original to compare the detail in the mold quality.

The information I have is that after 1945 the molds were the poroperty of the Josef Riedel Glassworks, the company that had actually manufactured the products for Schlevogt and Hoffman, and after 1948, were considered the property of the Nationalized Czech glass industry.  I can not find any info on production of the Ingrid pieces during these periods.  

Jindrich may be able to shed more, and possibly more accurate information on the subject. I am limited to researching sources in English, and I am sure there is a much greater abundance of material in Czech... a language I unfortunately do not read or speak.  >:(

I hope that this is helpful, and if I can find any additional info regarding the piece I will post it here.

Craig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand