No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lalique stylised wheat design bowl id?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Lalique stylised wheat design bowl id?
« on: August 12, 2009, 08:42:12 PM »
Having been lucky to acquire this lalique bowl im struggling to id the pattern for it ive never even held a piece of lalique before and im over the moon to have purchased it the seller never knew the pattern unfortunately? Its not the most decorative piece ive seen before but its a nice piece it measures 10" DIA 5" H. The base has lalique france ive found a similar bowl that sold in an american auction house in 2005 but thay never put a pattern to it but described it as circa 1925 but i thought it would be marked r lalique at this date? Can someone point me in the right direction as to a pattern date? Kind regards dan.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Re: Lalique stylised wheat design bowl id?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »
The pattern is very similar, but not identical to the "Jaffa" pitcher and glassess shown in Lalique par Lalique, p203. This was a Rene Lalique design revived by his son Marc. So the date of production is most likely to be post war. Hope this helps. You will need somebody like Mike Moir to confirm this as this is an area where I only have limited knowledge.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:23:50 PM »
Also thought jaffa myself looked a good bet??thankyou..

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 10:07:51 PM »
Although similar to Jaffa, I do not believe this to be an example of that decor. I have located images of Jaffa in several different glass forms and ages, both on line and in my Lalique books, IMHO the pattern is different from this piece.  

I can not find an example of Jaffa that has any form of stem on it such as these do. All examples I found have a curved bottom. I have also observed that the indentations into the center of the design appear on this to be more or less raised lines or ridges that decrease in height the further from the edge they protrude (could be the camera angle). On Jaffa, the indents are quite pronounced and in a triangular looking form. (kind of like saw teeth).

Additionally, the top portion of the pattern is in almost all cases a semi circle and this appears a little more jagged. (again, could be camera angle). I did find a contemporary votive with a similar top of the pattern and the lines protruding from the top of the pattern to the rim of the glass, but that piece has pretty pronounced triangular "teeth" as part of the pattern.  

Also, your comment regarding the use of the R Lalique signature is accurate, as the signature usage was stopped in 1945 when Rene Lalique passed away, but was used up until that time.

I am interested in what Mike will have to say....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 10:44:55 PM »
Hi all

This piece is a Marc Lalique design (the son) -so designed post 1945

Signature -dates this piece to between 1960 and 1976 if I remember rightly (too spidery to be the earlier signature)

The design is definitely not Jaffa, but alas I don't have a complete Marc catalogue to hand so I can't name it.

I'll have a search tomorrow -but might not manage to find a name -sorry (the Marc period is not fully documented)

Cheers

Mike

-by the way there are number of completely different editions of 'Lalique by Lalique' it was revised every few years

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 09:35:18 AM »
Hi again

looked throught my later Lalique books and catalogues

alas can't find its name  -it must have been discontinued c1970 or before

sorry

M

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »
Thanks mike+craig for your hard work not too worry its all been very nice to read, I suppose lalique's son isnt never gonna be his father. Im still very pleased with it a rare find i think... Thankyou so much for all your hard work. :hiclp:

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 08:46:30 PM »
My pleasure... It is a very nice piece of glass..... 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand