No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gebrüder Rachmann, Haida  (Read 10133 times)

Offline Galle

• Members
Gebrüder Rachmann, Haida
« on: August 14, 2009, 09:28:39 PM »
Frank asked me to start a new thread on this topic, so I am happy to do so.

I purchased a piece on eBay recently that had a paper label that I had never seen before. I found the label in the Glasmarken Lexikon, where it was listed as Rachmann Brothers, Haida. A loose translation of the German thanks to Altavista said that they were indeed a glass and metalworks, and that the brothers split the company in two at some point, one keeping the glassworks, and the other taking over the metalworks.

There is an advertisement that confirms the glass and metalworks (all in German) on this blog page - notice the man with the winged hat appears in the advertisement:

http://lischke.blogspot.com/

Photos are attached, and my vase is documented in a page on my site here:

http://sites.google.com/site/bohemianglassandmore/miscellaneous-identified-pieces

and along with another one I found on eBay (but did not buy) an Alfredo Villanueva's site here:

http://sites.google.com/site/loetzandglass/czech-jugendstil--other-makers

Note the same shape in my vase and the one from Alfredo's collection, on which he has changed his attribution from Goldberg to Rachmann.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg, and if a few more of these labels show up, we may finally be able to refine some previous attributions from simply "Haida" to a known maker. Just thought I would get the word out! :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Gebrüder Rachmann, Haida
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 09:59:56 PM »
They originally set up in Berlin and later moved to Haida. They had a large and extensive range covering atomisers - over 500 shown in the Glass Catalogue, toilet sets, fancy trinket trays and boxes with metal trims etcetera. Won several medals at various expositions and continued until the end of WW2. Apart from the catalogue I have there is little more than a few adverts and directory listings. I am still trying to contact a relative who has photos of the glassworks.

Any more information appreciated.

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 10:35:26 PM »
Hi

assuming Alfedo is right about his one on his site then I suspect this is one too -but alas no label

cheers

Mike

Offline Galle

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 10:48:27 PM »
Great vase, Mike! I don't know if it's Rachmann, Goldberg, or what, but I really do like it very much!

Also, thanks to Frank - I didn't realize that you had posted a Rachmann catalog - what a great find! :hiclp:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 11:38:04 PM »
The Rachmann Brothers were murdered in May 1945 by Czech partisans, according to a report dated July 10, 1950 by the brother-in-law of the brothers.

[Link removed whilst it is reviewed by Committee]
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 02:35:20 AM »
To add a little more about this company, Rachmann family (glassfabrikants) are listed in the New German Biography, Volume 21 (2003), p. 78  here: http://mdz10.bib-bvb.de/~db/0001/bsb00016339/images/index.html?seite=94 (in German)

There's an interesting Blog (again in German) by a member of the Rachmann family, with some photos of the brothers, their families, and of the glassmakers who worked for them: http://lischke.blogspot.com/  On it I also found a nice advert for Rachmann HERE
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline alfredo

• Members
Re: Gebrüder Rachmann and Kralik
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 01:25:56 PM »
I did not even remember I had joined this site!  I have some interesting information concerning the Rachmann Brothers' fate.  I have in my possession a letter by Klaus Von Kralik detailing the destruction of the Kralik glassworks and the rape and killing of family members by Czechs who were avenging the Nazi invasion.  As you probably know, all ethnic Germans (Kralik calls them Bohemian Germans) were expelled from Czech territories after the war.  Much of the glass we call "Czech" was viewed by the Czechs as "German".

And I have received a letter from Oscar Pallme asking me to send him a copy of the Truitt's page on their family's genealogy.  I am trying to ascertain the names of the two designers who created those characteristic PK shapes.

As soon as I learn how to post links, I'll send the PK information.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 07:46:37 PM »
I've oftened wondered if this is Goldberg or Rachmann? I originally had it as Goldberg. Its big if nothing else at 16" height. Lousy pic I know, but I was in a hurry. Ken

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 12:16:17 PM »
Could i just say a big welcome to Alfredo, great to see you on the glass message board,
Your site and collection is fabulous :thup:
I hope you find this board easy to use, its great fun and your expertise is very welcome!
Cheers
Andy
 ;D
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Sklounion

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 04:59:25 PM »
Hi Alfredo,

Just one note:

all ethnic Germans (Kralik calls them Bohemian Germans) were expelled from Czech territories after the war.

Not quite accurate, 10% of Sudeten Germans were allowed to remain on the basis of inter-ethnic marriages and other compassionate grounds, others, such as the Nazi sympathiser and vociferous anti-semite, glass entrepreneur Walter Reidel, were rightly treated as war criminals, and held by the Soviet Russian government. It is believed that Rudolf Schroetter, chose to stay, in his position of designer for Sklarny Inwald.

Despite the attempts of heirs of Sudeten Germans, to recover property confiscated as war reparations, during Gerhard Schroeder's last visit to the Czech Republic as German Chancellor, Schroeder renounced all German claims to the disputed property.

Regards,

M

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand