No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut Back and Gilt Vase - ID Help Please - French? ???  (Read 8547 times)

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Re: Cut Back and Gilt Vase - ID Help Please - French? ???
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 10:22:53 PM »
Hi

While on the subject of wild wild guesses

something about this says Baccarat to me

but then maybe not

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 10:30:20 PM »
Mike, have you ever seen thick iridescent baccarat before? (serious question, not catty)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 03:49:17 PM »
Well I emailed Bill Holland about this as he seems to be quite knowledgeable on Tiffany and other American Art glass and he said he didn't think it was American.

www.hollandarts.com

There just weren't that many glass houses that made this sort of thing. it's baffling. Maybe I'll email Dr Fischer auction house in Germany  about it.

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 04:24:30 PM »

No never seen iridiised Baccarat

but every other element of that vase I have seen done by baccarat

also they were amazingly diverse -would not surprise me if they did do it

Mike

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 04:48:08 PM »
They are still around, I wonder if they confirm old pieces of their work when emailed?

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 04:54:56 PM »
I"ll come clean, I am the owner of this piece  :) I also got a few pieces of "venetian" "1952" Fritz Heckert jodphur there :)  

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 05:41:34 PM »
I'll come clean...   :angel: I was the under bidder..... Probably on several things you bought  :thup:  I would have bid more, but my recent purchases in Montana were a substantial drain on my available mad money...  At least I know where it went.... 

I bought the three Willy Johansson Hadeland pieces... Not identified as Willy Johansson. One was described as not signed.. they missed the signature and did not mention the initials on any when describing signatures... 

My tastes and studies are pretty diverse.

I bid online as I was unable to attend at the last minute....

There was also an original Schlevogt Malachite glass piece, not a Desna repop, designed by Artur Pleva that was described as a "green ashtray" (3 horses supporting an ashtray disc) but was not part of the online bidding and sold for $15.   :huh:

They had some nice contemporary glass also... I bought (I use the term loosely for how low the price was ) the  Miller modernist faceted crystal vase.....

In general, they had pretty good taste, and eclectic!!

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 05:49:37 PM »
yeah, I saw those go by. I had to curtail my spending. I had blown thru the preview late on saturday and only had time to confirm the condition on this vase and that there was indeed signatures on the FH pieces. I didn't see the malachite until it was on the block and I couldn't see what it looked like exactly from where the auctioneer was so passed. the set up was very poor for this auction.

I blew 670 (including tax and premium) dollars. that was enough lol. they did have quite an unusual collection of stuff. I went higher than I intended to go on the FH goblets but I also got this vase for less than I was prepared to go so I guess it balances. I don't have a sense of smell and ended up buying a cedar chest full of moth balls. My husband was very annoyed with me for that one. I had no idea it was full of them ( they are very very toxic and a carcinogen, I wonder if that contributed to his death)

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 08:20:47 PM »
I don't know if it's right or wrong (please tell me!), but I associate this kind of huge pontil mark with French work.

Is is possible the outer textured layer is actually enamel?  It has a sort of painterly movement and blending of colors, and I'm not sure how you'd achieve it in glass.  Maybe it's the photos, but to me it doesn't look that thick - the thickness seems like it's in the clear.

What's the rim like?  Ground?

The Loetz-attributed vase doesn't look very similar to me in terms of style or texturing technique.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 08:43:52 PM »
I do not typically associate a pontil style with a country. I find it can be an identifier for a particular company if you are trying to narrow it down within a country or region. I find it can also be used to eliminate particular makers in some cases, depending on the style, period and region you feel a piece is from.  

Others may have a different opinion than mine, but that is what I have found, in my limited experience, to be more often true than not....

As far as the vase goes, I am going from memory here, but the rim is ground and gilt.  There is thickness in the clear, but the iridescent surface is definitely not enamel....  My gut reaction to it was French the second I saw it, but am at a loss as to what company could have done it.....  And I certainly could be wrong....  

Would not be the first time...  certainly will not be the last..

I have seen the surface treatment on a piece before, I just can not place when and where....  

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand