No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut Back and Gilt Vase - ID Help Please - French? ???  (Read 8556 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Cut Back and Gilt Vase - ID Help Please - French? ???
« on: August 16, 2009, 03:57:11 AM »
These are pictures of a vase I saw at an auction preview in Seattle today. The vase is about 6.75 inches tall. Age wear on the ring around the pontil area. Super high quality work. The glass underfoot appears clear, and the cut back areas in the body appear to cut through an Aurene style outer layer with a storng texture, through the clear, and into an interior that appears a little opalescent.  There is a very strong ridge around the rectangular areas, and the gilding is of the highest quality.

Any thoughts, or does anyone recognize it??

TIA, Craig

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
Re: Cut Back and Gilt Vase - ID Help Please - French? ???
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 04:07:36 AM »
I doubt French. I found this similar one that was attributed to Loetz.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/331115

we all know about loetz attributions though.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 04:43:23 AM »
Hi Alisa,

I sent images to Alfredo and he thought not Czech. He had not seen an underside like it before...  In person it did not strike me as Loetz work, especially with multiple layers and an opalescent base.....  I would say the vase you found is the definitely the same maker, but I do not think either were made by Loetz. I do not think the attribution is correct....

Craig

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 04:59:26 AM »
my first thought for it was actually American, but the enameling isn't typical. I know I've seen that textured iridescent glass somewhere before. When you say underside you mean pontil? I am unsure what looks so unusual about the base of this piece for Czech? I think this is a three layer glass. the thick iridescent layer, an opaline layer and then a clear layer.

I can't think of a thick iridescent glass from France. The only countries I can think of that were known for this type of thing were Bohemia, England and USA.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 05:22:45 AM »
Hi, The opaline layer is the innermost interior layer, the clear is over that, and then the exterior is the irridized gold and textured layer. I think the fact that the exterior layer is cut back completely and the clear middle layer is exposed and appears polished on the bottom edges and the underside is what he was referring to. I can not think of a Czech piece I have seen done in this manner, especially by a company that could produce such a high quality piece of work. It did not strike me as Czech either... It was also amazingly heavy for a vase of it's size and had the feel of a paperweight decor of some kind.....  Although it is obviously not.

Mont Joye did some iridescent glass (a little), and some very fine cameo and enameling work.....  some of which (the cameo and enameling) is not unlike the caliber of work on this example...

Craig

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 05:17:27 PM »
I don't see why that would be so impossible as a Austrian factor ( on the pontil) I think mont joye is a real stretch I've seen some light iridescence on that kind of glass but never textured and golden like this one is. I've done a couple searches for French iridescent glass and turned up nothing other than an occasional light iridescent type thing.

Layered glass was not alien to Austrian producers.  many did very capable cameo or ACB glass. So did the Americans. Quezal, Tiffany, Steuben, Durand, Nash and probably a couple others I am forgetting.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 05:45:09 PM »
I think Mont Joye is a stretch also. I found some examples of iridescent glass with cameo and enamel by them, but nothing as textured as this is, or as light in color as the textured portions are.  It may remain a mystery....  or someday I will open a book or hit a website doing something else, and it will pop out in front of me.... The style is extremely distinct, and my guess is that the output was quite limited.

Alfredo has the Passau catalogs, I do not (they are on my list for next book purchase), and if something like it was in there my gut feeling is that he would probably recognize it....

It does not strike me as an American piece, although nothing really surprises me with glass any more.

Craig 

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »
I have the Passau books too. There is nothing in there quite like it but they do not capture all of the production from Bohemia. There are a number of Bohemian glass pieces that I have seen that are not represented in those books. :)

the styling of it is quite odd but what I am going after when I say American is that I have seen textured iridescent glass like that from american manufacturers. (I just can't remember which one or where I saw it)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 06:03:43 PM »
It seems to me I have also seen the textured iridescence on a piece but can not place it.... It is a little unusual, and your are right that the styling is odd, or quite unique.....

Craig

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »
I know this is crazy talk and I'll probably get blasted for this, but I'll just come clean, I think I've seen Tiffany with this type of textured iridescent glass. I have no idea if that has any real possibility or not. I really don't know all that much about Tiffany glass.. but I think I saw this sort of thing in the museum exhibit at the museum of art in down town seattle a few years back.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand