No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Boda blue and gold decanter and glasses  (Read 4491 times)

Offline joanofgreenhill

• Members
Boda blue and gold decanter and glasses
« on: August 18, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Hi

Can anyone help me identify this Boda suite?  I inherited it from my dad and the only thing I know about it is that it was a gift from a Swedish friend around the 1960/70s.  On the bottom of each piece is written Boda 2180AS and then K 9 (or it may be an S) - I don't know whether that refers to 9 carat gold.

I tried to contact Kosta Boda in both Sweden and America but they didn't reply.

Any info will be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Joan

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Boda blue and gold decanter and glasses
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 01:31:30 PM »
Hello Joan, welcome to the forum.
Can you post a photo of the writing on one of the bases (by replying to this thread), this may help in finding the info you would like.

John

(I have yet to hear from any factory that I have contacted with a question).

Offline joanofgreenhill

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 01:50:49 PM »
Hi John

Thanks for getting back so quickly.  Here are a couple of shots of the base - as good as I could get, I'm afraid!

Not even an acknowledgement from these companies isn't very good PR is it?!

Joan

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 04:27:14 PM »
Great photos, unfortunately I am none the wiser. The codes can be tricky to decipher but it does look like Kosta 2180 A.S., I would expect AS to be the initials of the designer but I can not find anyone with the right name for that.

The K9 mark could be the decorators, which item(s) have the extra letters?

Somebody will come along with more helpful info soon I expect.

John

Offline joanofgreenhill

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 04:37:22 PM »
Hi John

All the pieces are marked in the same way.  As the decoration is in gold, I wondered whether the K9 stood for 9 carat.

After complaining that Kosta Boda didn't reply, I've just got an email from the USA apologising that they can't help, but saying that the Swedish factory is closed for the whole of August and that they will contact me after then!  However, they did suggest that the designer might be Kjell Engman - so I'm going to check on the web for any info about him

Joan

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 05:14:31 AM »
hi guys,

this set is made by Boda Glasbruk(glass factory), if I dont remember wrong this set was designed around 1920-1935, sorry cant be more specific right. It would be very expensive to produce today.

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 08:21:43 AM »
Sorry, 1950 is more appropriate I think. Designer should be Fritz Kallenberg.

hi guys,

this set is made by Boda Glasbruk(glass factory), if I dont remember wrong this set was designed around 1920-1935, sorry cant be more specific right. It would be very expensive to produce today.

Offline joanofgreenhill

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 08:38:51 AM »
That's great, thanks Daniel.  I very soon realised that Kjell Engman was far too late for it to be him as the designer.  I've tried looking up Fritz Kallenberg but unfortunately, most of the web references are in Swedish!  As I don't know whether the suite was bought new or second hand - the 1950s would certainly fit.

Thanks again
Joan

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 08:45:13 AM »
let me know what you want to know. Fritz Kallenberg designed MANY series and I mean MANY.  Several thousands.

Offline joanofgreenhill

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 02:03:08 PM »
What I'd like to know is a bit about the person himself and also where, probably online, I could see some of his designs.  I'm sure I'll think of other things - but when you made your offer, my mind went blank!

Thanks
Joan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand