No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tall bubbly Yellow/Amber Decanter, Possibly Höglund ?  (Read 6153 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Tall bubbly Yellow/Amber Decanter, Possibly Höglund ?
« on: August 18, 2009, 01:38:30 PM »
An unusually-shaped decanter with random bubbles and some carbonised black inclusions (predominantly visible in the hollow stopper). The bubbles in the bulbous neck are extended and the slightly uneven rim shows a few light tooling marks.

355mm tall, 90mm diameter. Finished with a polished pontil and a well-polished stopper.

I know a few of the Swedish glassworks produced this type of glass (amongst others - both old and brand new), but my research has taken me nowhere thus far.

I missed out on a set of seemingly matching glasses:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330350405830&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

Does either design ring any bells?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Tall bubbly Yellow/Amber Decanter, Possibly Swedish?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 01:39:09 PM »
Additional images:

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 01:45:27 PM »
I don't have any idea who it is by, but I really like it...  a shame on the glasses...  gives you something to look for.....   :thup:

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
Nice decanter, wonderful stopper, shape reminded me of Kaj Franck.

The underbidder on those glasses needs more roughage in his/her diet. ;D

Apologies if that was you Nic, we have all done it at sometime......

John

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 05:05:46 PM »
Yup - I was the underbidder on the glasses!

Unfortunately I'd had a few big purchases that sucked up most of my spare pennies - so consequently my highest bit was a bit of a low-ball.  ::) But, as Craig says, it gives me something to look out for!

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 05:27:02 PM »
Yikes!  The decanter and matching glasses were on my watch list - I'd fully intended to bid but, as usual, got caught up doing something else and missed them (thankfully, otherwise we'd all have been bidding against each other).

Initially I was thinking the glasses had a very Boda/Hoglund look to them but after much searching about I failed to find any designs of his the same shape.  So basically I don't know - but I did have a good search about for info when I first saw the eBay listings.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 05:43:53 PM »
*phew*

Someone said the 'H' word before me! I also thought Höglund when I first saw them but, likewise, couldn't find anything particularly similar after a good couple of hours searching my books, here, and whatever Google coughed up.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 05:50:40 PM »
colour, bubbles, bottom finish and shape all seem to cry out Högund - so I would not be bothered by absence of sigs or book attributions before concluding that this is most likely a Höglund piece. 

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 07:04:56 PM »
Thanks, Ivo!  :)

Could someone boot this thread over to Scandinavian and give the title a tweaking? Hopefully it'll catch the eye of someone with knowledge of a signed or labeled example just to cement the Höglund attribution.

Much appreciated.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Tall bubbly Yellow/Amber Decanter, Possibly Höglund ?
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 08:06:18 AM »
I sent the photos to a friend in sunny California who collects Swedish glass - he said he's not seen the exact same decanter before, but that he does have both very similar examples with different forms and the same drinking glasses, all with signatures and/or original Boda labels still attached.

He said that the designs dated to c.1957-1960. Would this be about right?

Really wish I'd pushed the boat out on the glasses now. But... win some / lose some.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand