No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: today's foray - ID = Dalian  (Read 7999 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
today's foray
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 04:32:15 PM »
Hi Ruth
Few people would know the difference. Those who had Nason / Murano in their collection might look suspiciously and some experienced general collectors may smell something amis but many would people would think Murano so don't beat yourself up.
I have seen a number of interesting and rather attractive pieces with adventurine, usually on turquoise and I am now wondering if they are from the same source. I have found a few of pics I kept for reference :
Adventurine on Turquoise swirl Bottle Vase
Adventurine on blue Bulbouse Vase 8.5"
Adventurine on bright PINK cased clear vase

The first time I saw one I was very tempted. If it had been in UK I think I would have bid on it. Since then I have seen many many more and started to get suspicious as they were appearing all over the world, at very varied prices and too frequently for comfort. The pink one I had no difficulty in resisting ....This color alone makes me wary.

These do not look particularly thin though .....hmmm
Also I am guessing that our esteemed guest took the inverted base "nipple", which Tiger rightly highlighted, as a key indicator of his attribution. I do not have base pics for these.

Dalian light Industries is not a name even known to 99.99% of glass collectors. It takes a researcher of some dedication to to know of such makers let alone confidently attribute to them . Thank you guest.

PS Ruth Adventurine is not copper ...it just looks like it sometimes. To find out more about adventurine use search above as it has been covered before.
Pete

Offline Glassyone

• Members
today's foray
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 04:45:46 PM »
Yes, they have a similar thumbprint!    
I'm not beating myself up really, mine are not too thin though, each weighs 760 g.

Now at least Dalian light industries is getting better known!
Ruth
  :lol:

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
today's foray
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 09:48:47 AM »
Do the Dalian one's turn a different colour when held up to the light?  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
today's foray
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 11:54:15 AM »
Yes they do. I just ckecked the Dalian vase above and it is based on a very dark brown = almost black colour. The Nason ones do not let any colour through at all. So the question was a valid one, the answer "it is shiny inside" is insufficient.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
today's foray
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 11:59:52 AM »
Yep apart from the color it looks splodgy like the Dialian Example

Ivo
Do you know anything about the turquoise ones I posted above ?
Maybe Dalian or something different ?
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
today's foray
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2005, 12:18:08 PM »
sorry cannot confirm manufacture, but I have a hunch that the lipstick one is most likely Dalian, the middle one might be French and the first one - really 404.
here is another juxtaposition. Both red glass cased over white with aventurine, the one on the left stickered Dalian the one on the right is French but I do not know by whom. The Dalian one is of abominable quality, the milk glass casing is almost transparent.

Mod: Link updated:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5586
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5585

Offline Glassyone

• Members
today's foray
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 03:33:43 AM »
Mine are cheap and cheerful, they let the light through.
The illustration of the casing of the previous two is also useful to remember. Thanks for those pointers.
Ruth

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand