No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Query on Swedish sign  (Read 2299 times)

Offline egorgozlow

• Members
Query on Swedish sign
« on: August 19, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »
I am currently looking at a couple of vases. One of them has a label which says in part CHRISTi... (I can't read the rest). Underneath it says made in Sweden. The label is an elongated oval in red with a yelloworange centre. CHRISTI... is in red and Made in Sweden is in black. Has anyone any ideas on the company as the label is not listed in my books. Thanksj;

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Query on Swedish sign
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 07:48:28 PM »
I would hazard a guess that it should be Christina, as she was a famous 17th century ruler of Sweden. That would make sense for an import label on Swedish goods being brought in to English-speaking countries

Offline egorgozlow

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 12:45:59 AM »
Firstly - thanks Anne. It was my first time posting and I realised I had put it not where it should be. I apologise for that..
Secondly, Lustrousstone. Thanks for that but it does not tell me who made it only that it may have been exported to an English speaking country with a bogus label. Maybe there is no way of telling unless engraved at bottom or there was an additional label originally. Cheers

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 06:54:26 AM »
It's not a bogus label at all. It's an importer's label. There were many importers in the 40s/50s/60s/70s who purchased in bulk or contracted for particular designs directly from the manufacturer. G Hardy, Jones and Co., Irice, I could go on for ever.  Manufacturers will sell to whoever buys, many didn't/don't label their products, some do/did and some don't/didn't if their purchaser asked them not to. Sometimes manufacturers exported under different names because their company name was perhaps unsuitable for the destination. It's a practice that still goes on today. There's nothing illegal or bogus about it. You can buy a piece of glass labelled Royal Doulton but Royal Doulton have never made glass. They use contractors. They make almost no china these days too. Labelling is a practice that large retailers have used for many, many years also.

Unfortunately it's not very helpful for glass collectors but it's about business and sales not collectors. It's marketing.

What we do know is that this label has been found on pieces made by Aseda, as in the link Anne gave.  But it is also likely that Christ... was not just Aseda. It can take years to build up pictures so as to reach conclusions.

Offline egorgozlow

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:31:08 AM »
Sorry Lustrousstone perhaps "bogus" was not the most appropriate word to use in a general context. While I agree with you that it was probably an importer's label, it really tends to hinder the collector who is trying to find out who made it. Thanks for taking the time to set me straight. I tend to focus on the labels in my copy of "Smoke and Ice" and become confused when I come across something alien. I have only been doing this for twelve months. I have moved from Carnival glass to Danish and Swedish - pottery and glass. I appreciate all the help I can get. Ta   

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 11:25:25 AM »
Hi, and welcome to the board. These importer's labels aren't much help in identifying your glass, but if you can post a photograph someone might be able to help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand