No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone help identify this paperweight for me, please?  (Read 3280 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Can anyone help identify this paperweight for me, please?
« on: October 16, 2005, 12:37:18 PM »
It is 3 inches in diameter, millefiori canes set in a black ground. My first reaction when I saw it was Vasart but not being an expert would appreciate others' views.
Many thanks
Ronnie

http://tinypic.com/eldwxu.jpg

http://tinypic.com/eldx0l.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 06:16:02 PM »
Hi Ronnie,

Yes, it could be Vasart (later years). It might also be early Strathearn. It's one of those "transitional period" weights.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 08:10:30 PM »
Hi Kev

Just to clear up a point - the bubbles are decorative and placed in a deliberate pattern in this weight; you don't see that in basic spoke Strathearn - is that right?

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline EstlinClichy

• Members
identity
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 12:28:52 PM »
Certainly Strathearn, but maybe an earlier one.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 07:18:31 PM »
Regarding the bubbles in this weight, I don't think these are deliberately decorative. It is just an effect of air being trapped in the tiny recesses between the various canes and twists. It happens in lots of weights and sometimes it's more obvious than in others. Also, digital photos tend to greatly enhance any bubbles.

(I used to think that Paul Ysart "cane basket" weights had bubbles specifically placed between the inner top edges of the canes. But Willie Manson told me that unless the weight was marvered at that particular point during the making, then there would normally be bubbles at the upper ends of the canes where a small indent occurred. Perhaps the effect in those weights was something that Paul Ysart knew would happen and chose to leave in as part of the design. But perhaps it was just a pleasing "accident".)

Strathearn spoke weights (and other designs) often do have the "inter-cane" type of bubbling.

However, at Strathearn, at least one design, the "Aurora" (not produced at Vasart, as far as I know) did include bubbling that was presumably part of the design. The weight was formed in a 12-section vertical rib mould with indentations at equidistant points creatiing rows of single bubbles around the entire surface.
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 07:27:49 PM »
EstlinClichy said:
Certainly Strathearn

I would be grateful to learn on what basis this weight can be stated as "certainly Strathearn". In my own investigations I have not found any evidence to show that any of the canes used in the weight in question were specifically Strathearn. I appreciate that some people have believed that cream coloured canes were Strathearn production, but such canes were made in the Vasart days, too.

Maybe there is something I have not yet learned?
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand