No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vasart ?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Vasart ?
« on: August 19, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »

I have not heard before the argument that seems to be proposed for this pin dish - that the ground colour helps determine whether Paul or Salvador Ysart was involved in making the item. Is that correct?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Re: Vasart ?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:28:38 PM »
its a conceit, surely?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Vasart ?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 12:53:51 PM »
I have sent the seller the following:
For information: All of the dishes like this one that I have checked with uv light show that they were made in the later Vasart Ltd period or perhaps even later in the Strathearn years. Therefore, they could not have been made by Salvador Ysart, who died in 1955, and Paul Ysart never worked at Vasart.

I did not comment on the point about the ground colour as that would be too complicated to get into in an eBay message. It is possibly true that many of the colours used by Salvador in the Ysart Bros (Vasart) period tended to be less bright than those used by Paul in the same years - but there are also many exceptions to that idea. However, items with greater glass clarity, which can reveal the colours as much brighter (or lighter) are more likely to be made of the lead-based glass of the later Vasart Ltd or Strahearn years. And my uv checks tend to confirm this - so on that basis Salvador never made the item and Paul, in any event, had nothing to do with the Vasart production.

Nevertheles, it's a nice example of a paperweight-based dish.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand