No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Salvador Ysart early paperweight production?  (Read 1433 times)

Offline SophieB

• Members
Salvador Ysart early paperweight production?
« on: August 18, 2021, 11:33:18 AM »
Hi all,

I would like to get a sense of what people think/know of Salvador Ysart paperweight production. I have always been a little confused with a number of questions regarding Salvador Ysart paperweight production ???:

1. Did Salvador Ysart make paperweights while at Moncrieff? [I know Salvador made fun of his son interest in paperweight, but he must himself have made some weights during his time there]

2. If Salvador did make weights at Moncrieff how can we identify them? Did he use his own canes exclusively? Or are there examples of weights with a mixture of canes from both Salvador and Paul? Are there any other identifying marks to differentiate the two?

3. Finally, if Salvador Ysart made weights at Moncrieff were these ever sold as 'official' Monart production (e.g. with a Monart label) or were they friggers? (I have never seen a weight with a Monart label that had Salvador Ysart canes... But I have only been collecting for 14 years).

I hope some of you have some ideas about any of these. I look forward to read about them ;D.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Salvador Ysart early paperweight production?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 06:07:24 PM »
Good questions Sophie, and I hope you get a few replies . I’d just like to add one more having found a Salvador paperweight, why was his work so variable!?I found a flower weight which was almost too good for him compared with others he made of the same design ??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 06:11:47 PM »
We do know Paul was very secretive and kept "his" stuff to himself, often working alone to keep it that way.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 07:46:32 PM »
Bat 20 - Yes, this is puzzling too. Having said that Paul Ysart's skills clearly improved throughout his career: for instance, there were bubbles in many of his early weights and most of his 3D weights were made from the Caithness period onward. So this would have been the same for Salvador too...

Sue - Yes, you are right. And we know that Salvador used to keep his canes locked in a tin box.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand