No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Does anyone know who made my large "Uranium" green lion?  (Read 10856 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Does anyone know who made my large "Uranium" green lion?
« on: August 22, 2009, 11:22:45 AM »
Hi All,

I have just bought this lovely large lion with his paw on a shield with the union flag on it

http://i26.tinypic.com/2kfxcm.jpg

which glows really nicely under UV lighting

http://i32.tinypic.com/v4qtrq.jpg

I think it may be by Davidson but am not sure, as I know they made little lions. Can anyone shed any light on it.

Many thanks

Barbara

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
Re: Does anyone know who made my large "Uranium" green lion?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 11:43:10 AM »
Hi Barbara

I know John Derbyshire also made similar lion paperweight, but yours looks slightly different:)

Cheers
Brenton

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 11:50:12 AM »
Its the paw on the shield which is different, maybe made for one of Queen Victoria's Jubilees, and she had quite a few, or a victory in some battle or other. I had forgotten about John Derbyshire, and Molineux made a sphinx so may have made a lion.

He is nice though, looks like lime jelly in the sun!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 05:38:53 PM »
Barbara  -  if you have Slack's English Pressed Glass - 1830  -  1900, try looking a page 94 (centre).   Described as 'translucent green' (not uranium).  Wud have thought that Slack wud have commented otherwise if he knew it to be U., so maybe the same model produced in both U. and non-U.    cheers    Paul S.
P. S. of course if yu don't have the book, come back and we can quote the caption for this illustration (in full).

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 05:50:45 PM »
Slack may not have bothered whether it was uranium glass or not, does he say who made it?

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 05:53:43 PM »
Hi Paul,

I don't have that book I'm afraid, just the Jenny Thompson " The Identification of English Pressed Glass ".

It would be lovely if you could let me know who made it and when.

Many thanks
Barbara

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 06:04:16 PM »
Yes he does say almost certainly Henry Greener c1890 as very similar to another Lion shown with the shield in slag glass which was marked with the first Greener mark, I also had the same Lion recently in uranium which had a stud fitting on the top of the head of the Lion for a bowl of some type, I would also think that all the Lions in this colour would be uranium

Roy

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 06:15:42 PM »
Hi Roy,

Many thanks, I would have never thought of Greener. The lion has no makers mark, that would be too easy! but he is a good large size and very well modeld.

Barbara

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 06:47:25 PM »
Barbara  -  just for the record, the caption to the illustration reads......"Lion paperweight in translucent green glass, c. 1890.   Unmarked but almost identical to the marked lion paperweights by Henry Greener shown in the picture below (here he refers to very similar lion models on the same page  -  same size  -   but in purple slag/marble glass).   Lion paperweights like this were probably also made by Greener, but from a slightly larger mould, and are probably unmarked because they date from the period after Henry Greener & Co. was acquired by James Jobling.  Height 6 in. (15.2 cm).""     Christine's comment that Slack may not have bothered whether or not is was U. - in not unjustified.    Throughout the book the author almost completely (but not quite) avoids any reference to U.  -   perhaps in 1987 access to small hand held torches was difficult.   The book is nonetheless invaluable if you collect pressed glass.  Paul S.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 09:07:38 PM »
It's a serious price though Paul, I can't find any copies on sale below £70 each and most of them much more than that. :(
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand