No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Does anyone know who made my large "Uranium" green lion?  (Read 10887 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Re: Does anyone know who made my large "Uranium" green lion?
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 09:58:55 PM »
Just found some close up images of Derbyshire lion and can see some of differences in the faces of that lion to mine
* mine does not have the puffed out cheeks
* mine does not have a hairy chin

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »
Whilst hanging out at an antique mall this weekend (where I got the cutest little vintage stuffed Scottie dog) and listening in to a conversation regarding uranium glass, we were told that there is "new" uranium glass being created. She (the person working at the mall) did not mention who might be doing this. I was quite surprised as I had thought that no one had used uranium since shortly after the second world war.

Carolyn

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 06:29:33 AM »
No, uranium has never really stopped being used somewhere in glass. Even our Adam A has used it within the last couple of years. There were pauses in use in various countries though.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 12:21:30 AM »
Oh okay, will dust out my mind soon, I promise.  ::)  ;D

Carolyn

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 02:00:24 PM »
Just managed to purchase a copy of Raymond Slack's book English Pressed Glass 1830-1900 and I see that he has attributed these lions with shields to Greener though probably made after Jobling has taken them over hence the slight size difference and why they are unmarked. So that's good enough for me !! Brilliant book definately recommend it I got mine second hand.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 06:11:26 PM »
hello Simba - glad you managed to get a copy of Raymond Slack's book - well worth having, although it can sometimes be expensive, even as a second hand book  -  doubtless you've read my review in the book section ;) ;)            Quote.......... "I got mine second hand"  -  I don't think there is any other way of acquiring one, now ;D

I wouldn't dream of questioning this author .........but in view of your comments I have read again the caption to Slack's pictures of the 'paws up' lions - and found myself wondering .............

According to Baker and Crowe, Henry Greener (the company) were the subject of a take over by their principal creditors, Jobling, in 1885.

Thinking of the illustrated brown marble lions - which according to Slack have Greener (first mark) provenance and are dated to c.1880  -  made me wonder why pieces such as the 'translucent green' lions might have remained marked, as suggested by Slack.
Despite these lions having been made at a time when there were company difficulties etc. re the take over, much glass from this factory does carry what is known as the 'second Greener mark'  -  another lion, but distinctively different from the first mark, and carrying an axe instead of a star.
This second crest mark was instituted - according to Lattimore - at the time of the take over by Jobling, and Greener continued registering designs certainly until the end of the century.

Slack may well be correct in his assumption (which is no doubt based solely on the fact that the green lions are in a style very similar to the known Greener brown marble examples) -  but it does seem odd that the factory should have chosen not to have used their own 'second mark' - in use at the time these were made. :)

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 07:09:32 PM »
My copy of Slack is signed by the author, with the phrase "Happy hunting Barney", dated Nov 17 1996 - bet someone here knows who that is, and they are gonna tell me I've got a dead man's book  :'(

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 08:15:22 PM »
Paul... how could you throw another spanner in the works !! Just I I had it sorted in my head...   :o  Maybe the change in the registration mark is reflected in the changes to the lion moulds. Greener's 1st  mark the lion is far less rampant than the second mark (my lion looks far more rampant than the brown marble lions in Mr slacks book !) but because it was just a slight difference to an original mould neither company could lay claim to it so omitted either mark.... ;) ;)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 09:19:51 PM »
Neil  -  If 'Barney' doesn't come forward - and I can remember - I will ask Raymond Slack when next I speak to him, if he can recall that name.
My copy is also signed  -  think I'm alive - at least most of the time ;)

Simba  -  it's not really a spanner, just that I was really wondering out loud - assuming Slack is correct - why Greener might not have marked their green lions bearing in mind that they marked their other pieces subsequent to the Jobling take over (the post take over mark being the 'axe mark').           I'm not suggesting Slack is wrong, just commenting that it seems a little odd that the green lions were not marked.

Not so sure I can agree with your reasoning for the absence of marks on the green lions :)      Since Jobling owned Greener & Company post 1885, then presumably they would have owned title to both the 'first and second" trade marks, so there would have been no problem with using either  -  at least that's my opinion, for what it's worth, although I might need to stand corrected re the law on trade marks.          Anyway, I think it remains a mystery, for which I don't think there is yet a rational explanation.
Like other, not too dissimilar marks, when worn perhaps, the different Greener marks may look similar if viewed quickly, and confusion can arise, so worth taking care. 

I must apologise :-[.........................despite re-reading my post, there is an error which gives the opposite meaning to what was intended...................quote........"might have remained marked"  -  should, of course have been......."remained unmarked"

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand