No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Geiger counter access needed  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Geiger counter access needed
« on: August 23, 2009, 10:06:38 AM »
Has anyone in the UK got a Geiger counter suitable for testing low-level radiation, i.e., that given off by uranium glass?

We have just acquired a Davidson 714 fruit set in green that glows strongly under UV in daylight. This set was introduced in the 1930s and still made in the 1960s. I have another set also in green but frosted that only glows a dull yellowish green - a completely different glow. Both sets appear quite early from their mode of manufacture - shiny ground base rims and coarse sand-blasted frosting on the one.

If anyone has a Geiger counter, I would like to send them a small bowl for testing, as Davidson is not known to have made green uranium glass.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Geiger counter access needed
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 11:16:01 AM »
Would it be possible to discern the difference between the background level and any emitted off by the glass?

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 11:40:11 AM »
Yes should be

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 03:42:07 PM »
 :spls:

I'm not too sure it would, aksherly.  :-\ Geiger counters are very, very inefficient, (maximum is ~ 10%) and uranium only gives off low level radiation anyway.
I did my school VIth form physics project on this, leaving a Geiger counter on for a couple of weeks or so to detect background radiation, then trying to ascertain the levels of radiation given off by various lumunius toys (eg a frisbee, a 4" diameter ball, and a large patch of "Twinkle Stars"), for equal lengths of time, completely unsuccessfully - nothing significant detected above background level.
Admittedly, that was in the '70s.

I really don't think Geiger counters of the type that would be available to the public or even in schools or colleges are any more efficient nowadays.
I would imagine the detectors used in nuclear power stations are not "normal" Geiger counters.

However, as I do know that uranium beads worn by visitors to nuclear power stations have set their alarms off, perhaps you could take your glass on a little visit?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 05:22:13 PM »
My friend is working on it, so we'll see. If not, I might try and contact Barrie Skelcher, as he has the kit and I'm sure he'd be interested. His latest book shows a piece of Davidson that he bought hoping it might be uranium because the seller said it glowed. It isn't.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 08:23:14 PM »
However, as I do know that uranium beads worn by visitors to nuclear power stations have set their alarms off

Heh heh heh Sue, that sounds like fun, I might have to check and see if any of mine glow then pay a visit to Heysham or Sellafield and see what happens.  >:D  >:D  >:D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand