No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The cat that got the cream - Crizzle Stone - Harris  (Read 3599 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Re: The cat that got the cream
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 09:51:36 PM »
John,
you probably didnt see this thread, I did it as well  :thup:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19092.0.html

Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 10:48:27 PM »
Andy, I have been dreaming of finding a Michael Harris crizzle stone for some time (since I read Mark Hill's book), I heard of a find (must have been yours) at an auction via the grapevine and felt as much hope as jealousy. This stone does not have the size of those I have seen photographed and I have not seen one in the 'flesh' to compare Father's and son's but they all look more than fantastic to me.

I must also confess to some more outrageous good fortune, about two years ago I bought a fish vase (faceted) signed by Michael Harris for a song at a local car boot sale. At the time my interest in glass was mostly Scandinavian and I did not know what I had bought (I knew it was nice) until I got home and did a little research, I was speechless (well nearly). The colours of the fish vase are purples, blues, greens and amber, I was converted.

Fantastic finds are still out there but if everyone else can just form an orderly queue.....

John

Some photos of the fish vase follow, the colours are more vibrant to the eye than they appear in these snaps.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 11:09:58 PM »
Here is a photo of the crizzle stone lit with a table lamp, it really comes to life, a fantastic bit of glass, superb artistry and glass making skill.

I am in awe.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: The cat that got the cream - Crizzle Stone - Harris
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 08:36:35 AM »
Ahem....

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 11:38:33 AM »
Crikey, are they breeding John!  :o  :mrgreen:  ;D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 02:54:03 PM »
If they are Anne they need a little more genetic diversity to create some new colour combinations.  ;D

I will come clean and admit to also buying the green one that Ron Wheeler had for sale earlier in the year (I need a wide angle lens on my camera for that one).

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 12:49:28 PM »
To my knowledge, Tim signed all the ones he made. I don't know how many there were altoghether, but it wasn't many - I'm sure Ron would know.
They were also made to be quite different to those made by his Dad, so that there would be no chance of having Tim's signature polished off and being passed off as older pieces.
He had a short spell of making a few things based on his Dad's original designs, in tribute to him.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 05:04:13 PM »
In artistic terms, you would also want to impart your own 'touch' by making the new work different, variation on a theme is a time honoured device/process and who apart from a con man (or woman!) would make an exact copy.
I am sure that Timothy Harris would value his artistic integrity highly and I see no problems myself by anyone paying a little homage to someone as influential as Michael Harris. Respect is due (I appreciate I may well be preaching to the converted on this forum).

I am going to include a photo of the stones in this years calender competion, though still trying to decide on which photos to submit.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 06:08:56 PM »
 :hiclp:

Very true, also to keep to the family motto;

"Our best work will be done tomorrow."
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk